•  

Thread: computer or electrical short

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

computer or electrical short

I have a 2009 Aveo and 2 times this year I have driven it to work and upon getting there when I go to turn off the ignition, I can take the key all the way out and the engine will continue running. I had to unplug the battery to shut off the car. Then jump it the next morning to get it going again. The 2nd time this happened I noticed the radio didn't come on, my clock was black and my window's won't go up or down. I took my car to the dealership but they couldn't tell me what the problem was unless they could duplicate it. The last time this happened was 2 weeks ago. When I went to get the oil changed a couple of days ago and they informed me my brake lights weren't work now. That night as I drove in I could see the brake lights indeed weren't working until I got to work. (about a 10 minute drive if that) I am taking my car back to the dealership to have the diagnostic test done. My question is does this sound more like an electrical short somewhere or could this be a computer problem. I was told by a mechanic that there are 2 parts of the computer warranty 1 that has 8 yrs/ 80,000 coverage and one that supposedly doesn't. My aveo is less than 8 yrs old and has 68,000 on it. So I am praying it's computer problems that are covered this close to christmas. Any suggestion or knowledge will help!

Thanks
      i think it is an electrical circuit short somewhere, you have to remove the seats and check all the electrical wires carefully, the electrical wires short may occur due to the mix between the water (rain) and oxygen over the time.

be careful, you have to remove the battery before checking any electrical wires.

edk
      Thanks
      Did you ever get an answer to that problem? My 09 has been doing the same thing occasionally. I usually pull the ignition relay when it happens. I would to actually fox it though.

Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      It is possible that your car has a damaged battery. If there is no accurate diagnosis.badland

Last edited by alexysrunte; 06-22-2023 at 08:00 AM.