•  
    Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Finally took a picture of my car... (Lots of pictures now)

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Re: Finally took a picture of my car...

How much did you cut off the coil? Also, where did you get the aftermarket isolaters?

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

i cut the bottom coil where it lined up with the end of the end of the spring, so one full circle came off.

the spring isolaters i have two, one is from a mustang and slips onto the spring. (looks like neoprene pipe insulation)

i have a bunch of tops and bottoms laying around from various cars, and got a bottom from my pile. the aveo is the first car i have actually needed to put isolaters in to stop the chatter. and i have lowered maybe 50 cars at my house, so i dont know what it came out of. but they look just like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Car-Tru ... ht_718wt_0

but i have never lowered a datsun. but it had the same L cross section and not the U like a lot of the other cars use..

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks

what are spring isolaters, and what do they do? whats "chatter"?
      Its more fun to drive a slow car fast, rather than drive a fast car slow!

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

did you do the springs in your car yet?

the isolater is the rubber cup above and below the spring. it "isolates" the road and suspension noise from the shell of the car, so you dont hear it. honestly its just a cushion the spring rides in. but there is also a cushion that goes onto the coils of the spring themselves, you just slide it up the spring.

the aveo has two stock: one sits on the control arm and the other is on top of the spring. the lower is about 1/2-3/4" thick, and the top is like a 1/4-1/2" thick. it also has one as part of the spring retainer on the strut top in the front. you dont "need" them and in most of the cars i have owned in the past you dont hear any more road noise without them. but the light back end of the aveo allows some noise to come through without them.

Chatter, is a type of spring noise. "chatter" is typically the sound a metal falling, like when you hit a pothole and the suspension drops really fast it sounds like dropping bolts in the suspension. in the aveo i also got a lot of "twang" sounds over bumps before i put the isolater back on. its just the sound of the spring compressing and moving with it metal on metal.
      they are names for how it sounds, these are not really technical terms but most of the guys i have works with use them.

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks

No, I haven't done the springs on my car yet, mostly due to the fact it's almost winter. But I really like the look of your drop so I was looking into what I'll do when it's time.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

Yo I love the look of your hatch. I got the same, only in the teal you were talking about.

Anyways, what springs exactly did you use. I looked but didnt see anything listed for the 'o9 yet so I was holding off. I actually probably live within 30-45 minutes of you, out past monroeville.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

the suspension is the same on the 09 as it is for all the others. So i got H&R's for an 08 in my search.

where past monroeville? there seem to be like 4 people on this board in pittsburgh.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

heres a question for ya, some are isted as 06-08 only and some say 04 and up, will it matter which ones I pick? and right in delmont. Not sure if your familiar with that town, I just moved here a while back and it doesnt seem to have much going for it. Maybe a Burgh meet is in order if the others want?

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

when i was looking i found no difference, beyond just look for make and model i usually compare part numbers.
      if the ones listed 04+ and the ones for 06-08 have the same part number (manufacturer not seller) then they are the same. if the part number is different then you need to look more into it, because they might have changes spring rates or something but i doubt they are different.

i know some of delmont, i have a friend in export. and i used to live in blairsville long long ago.

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks

They stiffened up the front struts in the 06 and went with an 18mm front swaybar instead of the 17mm. That said, the springs are the same.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast