•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aveo in Lansing MI USA

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

Aveo in Lansing MI USA

Hello folks. I just picked up my 2008 yellow Aveo5 5 speed. The previous owner was a pick up driver who got transfered with a long commute, so he bought the Aveo. He then got his old job back, and didn't need it anymore.

The rear had a bad clunk that turned out to be the rear axle bushings. After finding out about the whole axle needing replacement, I figured I'd live with it. This site saved the day with all the knowledge about the car, and after a trip to NAPA for some Golf bushings, I can now hear the squeaks in the front end to deal with. A local shop quoted $1500 to do front lower control arm bushings, sway bar links, struts and shocks, and straighten two wheels. I had them do the wheels, and I'll start on the rest.

So thanks to the admins and Aveo owners who have made this a great site!

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Sorry about misplacing this thread in Photos and Videos.

Thanks
      Either way, welcome to the site! Nice to see more Michigan Aveos! Good luck with the fixes!

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Thanks for the welcome, and I hope to be able to add to the site as the car becomes familiar to me.

Still love my daily driver classic67's Avatar
      Thanks
      Be careful with the front end parts if the cv axle gets pulled to far the bearings on the inner side of the axle will fall out and its a pain to put those back in. And welcome to the forum

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Thanks for the tip!

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      I changed the sway bar end links today. The nut under the rubber boot had corroded on the bottom on each side enough that the 15 mm wrench rounded of the corners and spun. I was able to hold one with a 9/16 to get the nut off, but the other had to be cut off. Still have the scrunchy noise up front, so it must be the control arm bushings.

Still love my daily driver classic67's Avatar
      Thanks
      it could also be the upper strut bushings that go between the strut and body of the car mine does it sometimes when its really damp or cold

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Ok. You guys will be the first to know where this noise comes from. Well, maybe second, my wife usually hears things first, whether she wants to or not!

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      I dove into the lower control arms today, no luck yet. The bolts hoding the driver's side arm on are very comfortable where they are and are resisting removal. I sprayed them all down with WD40, and started on the bolt through the rear bushing, figuring it would give the spray on the front bolt time to soak in to the rust.

Attempting to go easy on the vertical bolt, I turned the air impact down to a low setting to shake it up good before really hammering on it. 40 or 50 hits on the bottom of the bolt, with a wrench on the top, later, I turn it up to hit it harder, still nothing. Crank it all the way up and go wild, still won't break loose. So, remembering that a buddy told me to work on the nut when possible, I move to a half inch ratchet with the 17mm impact socket down onto the nut while holding the head of the bolt from below, nope. So out comes the breaker bar, and it rounds off the nut! Darn!

So, now I'm really worried about the front bolt with it's captive nut. I've read about breaking this bolt off, and also about the nut breaking it's weld and spinning inside the sub frame. Cutting out the bottom of the sub assembly to reweld the nut being the cheap fix from the loose nut. So I dig out the dirt build up from the area the front bolt protrudes into and lay the WD40 in there heavy. Using the half inch ratchet with the breaker bar, no joy. Let it sit awhile, more spray, another try, nope. Now the bolt head on the front mount is starting to round. Great. More spray, move back to the rear bushing bolt.

The nut on the rear bushing sits in a cup created when they stamp the arm, so in desperation, I filled the cup up with WD40, and it submerges the nut in penatrating oil. I know that the rear bolt isn't going to be that tough, as it can just be cut off or drillled out, but I'm trying to remove them to see how tough the front bolt might be.

Any ideas?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast