•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ABS Console Light

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

ABS Console Light

Hey guys I own a 2006 Chevy Aveo, recently the Abs light in the console has started going on and off and the abs shudder on the pedal activates by itself but only at low speeds. We already lifted the car and cleaned the four sensors on the wheel hubs. Any idea on how to fix this? Or should I just take it in to the dealership to fix?

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      are all your tires worn evenly? the same size? etc?

are the brake pads evenly worn or the even rotors drums? are the calipers extended the same amount?

car stops ok? is the brake fluid low?

the shudder should only occur while braking, is that the case? i "think" the light should diagnose the problem if you can it, but i really have no idea on your car, is it obd2 compliant? i am willing to bet with the miles and the problems i have heard about, it either your rear brakes arent stopping as well as your front (and hanging up).. or the calipers are extended and the fluid is low after/during you pressing the pedal..

Thanks
      Thanks for the response. Hehe I'm not too great on the technical part on cars so bear with me. The wheel alignment is out, the left front tyre is severely worn on the outside part of the tyre while the inside is great, I just noticed that last week I just thought the new tyre was from a bad batch and I do a lot of Km's in a month say about 3000km's a month. Do you think the wheel alignment may be the problem?

I haven’t checked the pads but I installed new ferodo pads 8 months ago. Fluid is ok car stops great. The abs shudders even if I’m not braking.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      i cannot see any reason for it to shudder while not braking, other than a hung up brake.. or air in the lines.

a bad pump or brake switch might cause it too. if you have a scannable car i would try that.

Thanks
      How would I know if I have a scannable car how would I know? Is there a port somewhere?

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      its on the dash under the steering wheel.

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks
      Sounds like a wheel speed sensor problem to me

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      are those "operational" in abs only cars when the brake is not pressed?

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks
      Well If it senses that one wheel slows down (dropped signal) and the other does not, it may engage the ABS to avoid a skid condition.

I was unsure if that's how it worked so I just looked up ABS for a 2006 aveo and here's the description of how it works in the service manual:

The purpose of the MGH-25 antilock brake system (ABS) is to minimize wheel slip during heavy braking. MGH-25 performs this function by monitoring the speed of each wheel and controlling the brake fluid pressure to each wheel independently during a braking event. This allows the driver to retain directional stability and better steering capability.
      Last edited by Ratchet104; 01-28-2011 at 03:24 AM.

Thanks
      Hey guys, whatever happened with this?I am experiencing the same thing on my '06. Background- some of you might remember a month or so ago I had asked questions about doing the front brakes, as I had a severe pull to the left start after having a flat on the right front. My initial thought was that it was coincidence and that the left front just started hanging up due to low pads, extended piston travel. I did the front brakes and they seem to work fine, however, since then I get the condition describe above. I don't know if it's coincidence or not but it seems the light will go off after about 5 mins if I apply the handbrake and release. The new tire is a mis match but is the same size but I will need to measure to see how close the diameter is. My other thoughts is that perhaps the right front sensor was damaged somehow by the tire blowing out or by debris from whatever I hit. What's the best way to clean the sensors? WD-40?? Brake Fluid? Would the MGH-25 be the cause if we're talking only in cases of under 10mph in a parking lot? Is it possible to by-pass the MGH-25 for troubleshooting purposes? My girlfriend stopped once and they said there was no fault on the computer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast