•  

Thread: What of the Sonic?

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks

What of the Sonic?

Hi folks,

Well, what of the Sonic? How much does it have in common with the Aveo? It is starting to grow on me. What I noticed is the Sonics we have up here in Canada all seem to be 1.8L unless you go LTZ, then you can get the 1.4T. I heard that they were giving really nice deals on the 1.8 orange ones as apparently nobody is buying them. Not sure I'd trade my Aveo for a 'regular' Sonic, but the 1.4T/6MT looks very interesting.

I like my Aveo because of its maneuverability, all around visibility and how insanely practical it is. I want my next ride to be more fun though, and unfortunately I'm starting to see a bit too much rust for my liking, so modifying this one is no longer something I'm really considering.

The 1.4T is supposed to be really good on gas too which is nice, given the forever increasing gas prices that have doubled since I started driving.

What are your thoughts on the Sonic in general? I read a little bit on a Sonic forum, people seem pretty pleased so far but I guess that is to be expected on a Sonic forum lol.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Byron,

I like some things about the new sonic styling, and others I'm not so in love with. I like that they sloped the hood more and narrowed the headlight openings, but at the same time I like the chrome look inside the headlights on my 2009 better than the black background on the Sonic. I think the interior is made for younger folks which is fine, but I like mine better, just simple.
      I really wish I could have gotten a 6MT in my Aveo!!!!!! I think if I had a taller final gear the highway mileage would be much better. If you have rust I agree I wouldn't spend a lot of time on you Aveo and to me the extra gear would be very nice. Do you know if 6th gear is higher than the .71 of 5th on the Aveo? I wish you luck looking for your new ride as for me I plan to run the wheels off of my Aveo before is sees the graveyard

PS. Does the Canadian version of the Aveo do better on gas than its American counterpart? I was looking at the specs posted for an Aveo in Canada and it shows fuel mileage estimates of 50 highway and 42 overall? My car at best does 36 mpg

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      I just bought my 2011 aveo5 2lt a week ago but I had test drove an orange sonic turbo fully loaded they had for $18,900. I'll tell you one thing, if I would have had the extra cash (and the sales guys didn't offend me on the amount the were going to give me on a trade-in) or was able to finance the extra amount, I would have drove home in that sonic. Hands down the best car I test drove while looking for a replacement for my totaled Yaris. And I test drove 2012 Rio, 11 fit, 11 fiesta, 12 sonic, 07 mini, 11 aveo (obviously heh), 12 accent (which I found to also be very good) and a few others that were not sub/compacts. The accent was on the short list was well when I thought I would be able to afford a new car, nicely equipped and peppy and was one of, if not the quietest in terms of road/engine noise.

I mean it, the sonic turbo I drove was hands down, above all others, the best car [period]. Responsiveness was great, the options were awe inspiring, the price was VERY reasonable, and I actually liked the orange color. Of course thats all just one man's opinion.

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      The turbo sonic is the best out of the lot, with a simple tune, it easily outperforms anything in the class. And that gauge cluster, the main thing that sells me on a car is the gauge cluster