•  

Thread: 6.5 speakers

just here to chill
      Thanks

6.5 speakers

So im going to be installing 6.5" speakers in my front doors and was wondering what all I will need. Ive heard conflicting things about what I need. Also keep in mind I'm a college student so the only "tool" I have is a pocket knife. Thanks!

What do you mean there's no turbo? PoisonIvy's Avatar
      Thanks
      These are mine.
      http://www.aveoforum.com/forum/f84/6...d-doors-19845/
      Not a very detailed write up, but it's pretty straight forward. You'll need at least 4 female 'faston' terminals. (I think that's what they're called.) They're a few pennies each, they may even come with some wiring with the new speakers. You'll need to cut the factory plug off the wiring that connected to the factory speaker. You could solder the wiring directly to the new speakers terminals, but that sucks if you want to remove them easily. Other then that you'll need the 1" spacers. $10 to $15 on a place like Amazon or Sonic Electronix. And then the speakers you buy need to be shallow mount, below 1 3/4" to be safe.

Actually the hardest part about the whole process will be removing the door panels. And there's plenty of examples on this forum. I'd recommend getting some panel removal tools. I know you're on a budget, but trust me it'll be $10 well spent and you'll use them over and over. Plus they'll save your panels/dash from getting chewed up.

just here to chill
      Thanks
      Did you install a custom radio as well?

Thanks
      I did. Probably even easier then speakers. You'll need a 'harness' that specifically plugs into your Aveo's factory wiring, a mounting kit that the radio sits in and then screws into the dash and I believe you'll need an adapter for the radio antannae. These are available anywhere online. A site like Crutchfield is a great resource to plug in your specific vehicle and it lets you know which parts you'll need to mount it. There will be a couple different brands like Metra and Scosche that will work. An aftermarket radio makes a HUGE difference. It sounds better, you can add bluetooth capability, usb input, etc. Probably the biggest bang for the buck you can do to your car.

There's a million how-to's out there. You can solder the connections on your kitchen table (radio to harness), remove one small piece of trim around the radio, and then basically plug it in. If your speakers are blown, do the speakers first, if they're 'fine' and you're looking for better sound, do the radio, and then when $ permits, do the speakers.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to PoisonIvy For This Useful Post:

july4jake (07-29-2015)

just here to chill
      Thanks
      What radio did you install? And do you have any recommendations for the different adapters?

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by july4jake View Post
      What radio did you install? And do you have any recommendations for the different adapters?
      As long as it's for your year Aveo, it doesn't matter which brand of wiring adapter you use. If you're at all concerned about a no-name ebay brand, for a couple bucks more go with the Metra or Scosche brand.

I put a JVC with bluetooth in a little over a year ago. There's a pic in my 'Garage'. The bluetooth is a nice addition. You have to go hands-free with cel phones where I live for a while now. And streaming music over bluetooth is convenient too.