•  

Thread: Clock DIMMING (or going out) -- correction to earlier post

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Clock DIMMING (or going out) -- correction to earlier post

So, it "seems" the clock has given up resetting (fingers crossed)But it's persistant issue is this:When I turn the car console lighting on, the Clock display dims to nearly out (sometimes out).When I turn the headlights full on, Clock either goes out, comes back on, or or some mix.Sometimes turning the lights back off will bring the clock back.Sometimes turning the Fog Lights on while the headlights are on will correct things (or make the clock go out).--I read up on how to fix your clock, but I don't get how to get the clock actually out.BUT--- could this be a fuse issue? Some fuse going wonky and not being able to cope with changing electrical use?I might be talking out of my butt...Thanks kindly

Should I keep it?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      I would verify the 'known clock issue' as xintersecty said and go from there.
      You will eliminate that aspect as a possible problem, and potentially save yourself tedious wiring troubleshooting.
      The clock is quite easy to take out. On my 05 hatchback the two side panels beside the radio and blower need to come off first.
      You can use a plastic 'putty knife' and start at the bottom by the cup holder and start to pry it up/out.
      Once the side panels are removed you will see two Phillips screws beside the radio holding the top panel.
      After you remove those screws pry up the panel starting from the radio and working your way towards the clock on either side.
      Once the panel is up and out, disconnect the connector to the hazard switch on the panel so it can be fully removed.
      You will now have full access to the clock, two Phillips screws and a connector to take it fully out.

The intermittent operation isn't going to be a fuse problem.

Cheers