•  

Thread: 2004 Chevy Aveo will not start

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

2004 Chevy Aveo will not start

Hi all, I am new to the forum, but already am impressed with the amount of info I have found so far while troubleshooting this problem.

My wife drove her 2004 Chevy Aveo to work with no problems went to leave it wouldn't start it would turn over but not fire, 3/4s of a tank of fuel, had her check all the fuses, finally went and hauled it home on the trailer, now it is in the garage and this is where I stand so far.

I checked for fuel, and the fuel pump, all working as they should, to rule out the fuel I squirted some starting fluid in the air box (I know its not great for the motor but I wanted to rule out the lack of fuel being an issue). I took the cover off the engine and put my timing light on each, wire they all fire as they should, but it won't even attempt to start (turns over but will not start).

I looked through the past forums and double checked the timing belt vs ignition timing, that checked out.

History on the car isn't good, I bought it as a repairable and fixed it, with few if any issues (car ran great but had an error code for the emissions system), then the wife smashed it up again, so I rebuilt it a second time... since the last encounter the car has been running fine for 4 months... no issues, great car just under 70k... no I am puzzled...

The emission codes that used to be there are now gone when I put my code reader on ... the only fault I got was while I was working on it, it was the PC2610 pcm/ecm Internal Engine off Timer Performance on, but the door was open and the key was on for a long time, I reset the code both with the scan tool and then disconnected the battery just to be sure... still no fire... any suggestion would be great... one post I read on a different forum says with the PC2610 forum check fuses and relays (already have done that) then replace the ECM (I don't want to do that if I don't have to)... another says that the code is from leaving the ignition on for too long... any help will be greatly apperciated...

Thanks in advance,

Matt

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      ok, i am left with a few questions:

first, how did you verify the timing belt? has it ever been done?

second is spraying starting fluid into the air box the only way you tested fuel? or did you just do that as verification after checking something else? put your finger on each injector, do you feel them clicking?

your code points to a bad ecm, so if it is still functioning everything, it might be ok.. but it might not be doing things correctly. as in the injectors and pug might be firing but not in the correct time to the engine. Now dont run out to buy an ecm until we verify a few things in you diagnosis..

Thanks
      Rabbit,

You were right on the mark... after I put the post up I went and worked on another project and got to thinking that I had better double check everything again and not assume... I double checked and long story short the timing belt is snapped... I guess I was thinking because the car wasn't running when it happened that it had to be electrical.

So I guess my next question is ... how easy it it to set back up once I replace the belt or do I need the technical manual...

Thanks
      That is assuming the engine hasn't suffered a catastrophe from the belt breaking and then turning the motor over anyway...

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Thanks
      You should have valve damage at the very least, maybe more. Though the belt did last a while, seven years old and almost 70000 miles assuming it was never changed, not too bad at all from that standpoint, hopefully there is no major damage, good luck.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by hillbillyhook View Post
      That is assuming the engine hasn't suffered a catastrophe from the belt breaking and then turning the motor over anyway...
      Its not likely that the valves are ok, but if it really snapped when you shut it off you might get lucky..

it would be worth it to determine how many bad valves you have via a compression test as well, but pulling the head does take the same amount of time. And it will most likely need done. but you take the belt off getting to the head.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      this is going to get expsensive............

Thanks
      Its sometimes cheaper to change the motor

Thanks
      Hi all I have had a similar problem with my 2005 Aveo. I checked the cam belt, I checked for spark, I checked for fuel and even the compression! The compression was 400 kPa. All checked out and nothing is wrong. I swapped the crank sensor yet no luck. After 3 day of frustration and no answer I started playing with the cam timing. After adjusting the crank pulley 90 degrees from its origanal mark on the cover over the cam belt the car started??????????? I can not explain it but she is running like a dream.

Regards

Wimpie

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      Did you just move the crank, or your turned over the engine 90 degrees? how did you verify the belt condition is ok? looking at just the top half doesnt typically do it, turn it over by hand and make sure it is all turning appropriately. The belt can look fine, and the cams can be in perfect time, but the teeth could all be sheared off the pulled around the crank gear and the bottom end is just spinning.

it could be the teeth on your starter gear are bad, and you just happened to be in a spot it didn't work. or your started was stuck on the fly wheel and turning it over released it. etc.