•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: aveosam's computer problems (theres alot)

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

aveosam's computer problems (theres alot)

for some reason my memorex 1GB memorystick will not work on my dads laptop with windows vista....my laptop took a crap because the model needed a bios upgrade or the motherboard fries,which it did. so hp is getting my laptop back to fix so I have to use my dads but all my important stuff is on my memorystick and it doesnt seem to want to run on here..anyone clue me into whats wrong....

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

Re: need help with vista

I can probably hlp you but I will need more info. This is something like a SD card? or is it a Flash Drive?

1. What happens when you place the Mem stick in the slot?

2. Have you tried a different Mem stick?

3. Was the Laptop you used this card in prior Vista? what OS?

If you can get me that, and any error codes, I can narrow it down.

My guess is one of two things, either A the Mem Stick is formatted for a different OS, XP maybe?

or

Its a Driver issue, perhaps the drivers need updates/ installed for your media reader, I am assuming this is built into the computer, and if so I'd check the manufactors page, or find the brand of the card reader, and check its website for new drivers.

Very rarely have I seen any form of Media such as the Memory stick, or SD card fail.
      07 Aveo LS 5/speed Manual

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks

I doubt it is a file system incompatibility. He said HP is getting his laptop so it is not a MAC, and anyway if it is a 2 gig or less flash drive it is probably just plain FAT. Since the machine is running Vista, I assume it is fairly new so I would rule out a USB 1.1 vs. 2.0 issue as the machine is surely 2.0. I would ask, when you insert the drive, does anything appear in the notification area (the bottom right hand corner)? If you look in device manager, right click computer, properties, device manager, are there any unknown devices (yellow exclamation points)? Let us know these questions as well.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Aveo07z
      I can probably hlp you but I will need more info. This is something like a SD card? or is it a Flash Drive?

1. What happens when you place the Mem stick in the slot?

2. Have you tried a different Mem stick?

3. Was the Laptop you used this card in prior Vista? what OS?

If you can get me that, and any error codes, I can narrow it down.

My guess is one of two things, either A the Mem Stick is formatted for a different OS, XP maybe?

or

Its a Driver issue, perhaps the drivers need updates/ installed for your media reader, I am assuming this is built into the computer, and if so I'd check the manufactors page, or find the brand of the card reader, and check its website for new drivers.

Very rarely have I seen any form of Media such as the Memory stick, or SD card fail.
      its a 1GB flashdrive. nothing happens when I insert it, but i could have sworn the other day when i inserted it that it said the drive was installed after i put it in. I haven't tried another memorystick because i dont have one. my prior laptop was xp. If i go into my computer to open the flashdrive that way it won't do anything either.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AveoRob
      I doubt it is a file system incompatibility. He said HP is getting his laptop so it is not a MAC, and anyway if it is a 2 gig or less flash drive it is probably just plain FAT. Since the machine is running Vista, I assume it is fairly new so I would rule out a USB 1.1 vs. 2.0 issue as the machine is surely 2.0. I would ask, when you insert the drive, does anything appear in the notification area (the bottom right hand corner)? If you look in device manager, right click computer, properties, device manager, are there any unknown devices (yellow exclamation points)? Let us know these questions as well.
      when i first inserted the drive, a message that the drive was being installed appeared in the notification area. and when i do the device manager its listed under the disc drives

Thanks

the flash drive isn't broken either because it works on our other home pc...but the home pc has xp, so i think it has to do with vista

Timing belt broke, do I keep it?
      Thanks

vista is crap.
      You can not commit crimes in a Aveo. Its just not fast enough.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mikedudley17
      vista is crap.
      haha i thought it was just me....it looks really nice graphics wise compared to xp but somethings are changed that i don't like and I have a hard time finding the stuff....
      ...but right now me and technology just arent meshing....first my laptop breaks, then i go to use my dad laptop to dl my ebook onto and I pay for it and it never downloads to my computer! but their customer service helped me out to get it downloaded. Next I realize my dads comp doesnt have word or excel which i need to do my hw (i guess he never go it because this comp was suppose to be only for tuning his car). I can get that software for free from the college I go to but I need to have some VPN program to connect to the schools network (I don't what it is exactly but I need it). Well i downloaded that on to my dads comp but it freezes/ times out everytime I go to install so I can get the programs I need. After that happen suddenly our Verizon Broadband usb modem decides to stop working on my dads comp, but works on other computers. Its really wierd because it worked all yesterday without a problem on his comp and most of today and then just stopped. We have had this problem two times with the same error before. First time they replaced it, second time the lady said its because of firewalls on my comp. Well i know its not firewalls now because i diabled them temporarily on my dads comp just to see if that was the problem no. I just recently installed the version broadband on my dads comp so I thought that might be the problem but why would it work for a day and a half and then stop? Another side effect of the internet just recently being on there is that everytime i connected before I would get new updates for vista since it never had internet before...but when i went to install some of them, they failed because now the internet doesnt work! So these past couple of days have been rediculously crappy then got piled on more today when I found out i was short at work (gas station) 40.00 some dollars that i have to pay out of my paycheck. /rant

i might checkout the memorex website to see if i can find any info about problems with vista (i think vista was part of the VPN failure too)

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks

I don't have a vista machine lying around to really look at what's going on... but I know we have tons of problems with our remote employees at work using vista

(we use a cisco VPN client so they can connect to our network and grab anything on the file&print server, etc)...

If it shows up under devices as being functional, I would check and see if it shows up under explorer... windowskey+R, then punch in explorer... you should get a nice little window displaying your drives, etc... see if it's in there.

otherwise try windowskey+r and punch in "compmgmt.msc" and then go to disk manager... see if you can find the device in there (this works in XP, not sure about vista). If it shows up as "unavailable" or something like that, it's likely you may need to format the stick before you are able to use it again.
      Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far the wall moves after you hit it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by exodus
      I don't have a vista machine lying around to really look at what's going on... but I know we have tons of problems with our remote employees at work using vista

(we use a cisco VPN client so they can connect to our network and grab anything on the file&print server, etc)...

If it shows up under devices as being functional, I would check and see if it shows up under explorer... windowskey+R, then punch in explorer... you should get a nice little window displaying your drives, etc... see if it's in there.

otherwise try windowskey+r and punch in "compmgmt.msc" and then go to disk manager... see if you can find the device in there (this works in XP, not sure about vista). If it shows up as "unavailable" or something like that, it's likely you may need to format the stick before you are able to use it again.
      i got the vpn to work right and used it to dl microsoft office....it wouldn't download right because my internet broadband card was shutting off right before i had to restart the computer to finish the download. the verison broadband card is another trouble maker.... it worked perfectly find for two days one the new vista laptop then randomly threw up this error code (which we have seen twice before while using it on different computers) and doesn't authenticate the connection. the first time they replaced it, the second time they blamed firewalls (which i shut off to check but still didnt work) but i seem to think its because I am using it on a new computer it hasnt been used on yet. I think its wierd thou that it takes two days for it to realize its not the same computer, but i just have to call to get that fixed so for now im stuck on the slow home desktop we have. thanks for the helpful advise...now back to the flashdrive

....i went on memorex to check and there was a software update for windows vista so hopefully it will just need that to work. now I just have to go to a friends house to download it because the broadband won't work on the laptop....when it rains, it pours lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast