•  
    Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: We need a DIY A/C install! AC

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

We need a DIY A/C install! AC

Outside of a DIY oil change thread, I think AC install write up would be a needed and popular thread here.

I have an 09' that has the factory prep done but no AC. It can't be that hard for what 'seems' like bolt on stuff. Bracket, compressor, lines etc. Some part numbers and location pictures might be enough of what's required to get going. After it's together maybe bring the car to an AC shop to have them charge/test it all?

Can it be done relatively easily? has anyone here done it?

I NEED AC now that the wife is driving the car!

The only alternative is Pay Up and have someone else do it, so if anyone paid a shop aftermarket, what did it cost to have done?

First one to Identify my other car in my Avatar gets a cookie....

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

Re: We need a DIY A/C install! AC

its about $300-400 in parts off ebay, less if you find a upullit or yard for the lines,compressor and ac switch. the dealer kit is like $1000, but the wiring is all there, my 09 is ac prepped so it has the condenser and evaporator and dryer all ready on the car,

Thanks

Mine is the same (09' Aveo5), it came with the "AC provisions for dealer install" package, so I believe like you say the condenser, evaporator and dryer are already there. What about dash controls, plug and play?

GMpartsdirect shows this schematic but what else would be required?

If I went new, I think I would need:

#3 (Compressor assy) @ $400

#17 + #18 (left/right hoses) @ $114

Not sure about #14 - #16, think they are there on my car (not sure, will check when wife gets home)

Bracket and belts? What wiring is required on a dealer ac prep car?
      What else comes with GM's (complete?) package and do we know af any dealer can get that?

We can at least get a list together even if we don't have a DIY write-up yet.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

you need 14, 15, 18 and 17. The compressor i bought used on ebay for $40 with 10k miles and a one year warranty, knowing that once it is install the dealer will probably cover it in the factory warranty since it all factory parts

the wiring is all there, there are two plugs hanging in the engine compartment. one by the maf on the intake. it is for the ac pressure switch. there is on hanging under the power steering pump in front of the block for the ac clutch on the compressor. the controls are plug and play on not terribly hard the change. the two bicycle cable switches are a bit tricky..

you will need bolts for the compressor although the dealer suspected not every car would have the bracket for ac.. mine does. i believe those are #4 in that diagram. i just ordered the serp belt for a car with ac to put that on.

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks

Next question is to determine how this compares to the 2008 Aveo 5?

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? serega12's Avatar
      Thanks

From what I understand, our price tag (1st gen Aveos) is a bit higher. Since our "ac prep" option is only priced at 50 from the dealer, and ac kit costs 1299 from the dealer and 1000 on eBay, I'm guessing we have to buy the stuff that rabbit already has on his car from factory out of pocket. That would drive the price up. I'm not sure I want to bother with it here in WA though... I think I can roll my windows down for the three weeks of summer we get here (at 85F, 90 tops...). It will give me the comfort for those three weeks and rob me of a few much needed in this car HP for the rest of the year. And that's for 1000$ not including labor... nitrous costs half that and I see myself using it more often. but for now I'm not getting either one.
      2006 Chevrolet Aveo a.k.a. Holden Barina – SOLD
      ​2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS/TC - SOLD

Thanks

just an fyi

looks like the full GM kit (for a 2009-2010) is:

GM PART # 96992824
      CATEGORY: All
      PACK QTY: 1
      CORE CHARGE: $0.00
      GM LIST: $1,228.57
      OUR PRICE: $894.40 (GMPARTSDIRECT)

my local dealer is showing an installed price of about $1400

doesn't seem as bad as when I got the car last year (was quoted $2000). For all new GM stuff w/warranty i might have to go that route if we can't get a less expensive roadmap put together here...

Rabbit did you do this yourself?

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

i do everything myself, yes.

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? serega12's Avatar
      Thanks

cherrybomb, just because rabbit did this yourself doesn't mean most of us here can do it ourselves.. You should ask him how long he's been working on cars too.
      2006 Chevrolet Aveo a.k.a. Holden Barina – SOLD
      ​2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS/TC - SOLD

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks

Hi. Im getting ready to do the a/c nstall in my victory red 2010. I just bought all the parts from a slavage yard for 200.00 .I got everything except line bolts and cab switch(climate control deal).
      My question is this:since my car is 2010 the cab switch is hard to find. Gm wants like 300 bucks for it( If i knew that the computer didnt make the compressor cycle(cycle means cutting it off momentarily so it dosnt freez up)..id just use one of the dummy switch spots and use another 4way switch. The 2010 are different in some ways i know. If u guys have any a/c install questions yell, so far mine is easy,i may hav to chase some bolts at lowes but it looks like i will have cold a/c for less than 300.00 dollars when done. my car has ac provison option so condenser and evaporator are already there. If anyone knows bolt sizes for the condensor and such feel free to share your knowledge. I have two aveos
      the new 2010 that is getting the treat ment and an 2006 that has 125000 miles

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast