Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Timing belt change on 2006 Aveo LS: My new detailed write-up

I'll keep it and add a turbo t.fader's Avatar
      Thanks
      you need a serpentine belt BBAADD

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      +1 on the thank you for the write up - I'm printing it out right now and will reference it on the weekend while changing my timing belt.

Thanks
      Just did this earlier tonight!

I did a water pump, idler pulley, tensioner, serpentine belt, motor mount, plugs, wires, oil change and a lot of those belt related parts were totally trashed at 205,000km. The last time this was done was at 95,000 km under warranty, and it looks like they just stuck a belt on and called it a day.

Runs smooth, and I will not have to get an upset call from the wife on the side of the road. Thanks for the write up.

Thanks

Excellent write-up :)

What was your total investment in parts/tools/coolant? I had taken my car to the shop this morning, prepared to plunk down $350, but got a phone call a couple hours later saying that the water pump would have to be replaced as part of the procedure due to the fact that the pump seal is an integral part of the unit (I have a 2009 with the 1.6 ECOTECH engine) and that the total cost would be over $800 instead!! Needless to say, I put the brakes on that process real quick. If anyone has done an 09 timing belt change, give me a shout..Also, is there a Chilton or similar manual for the 2009 and later model Aveos out on the market now that anyone knows of?

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      how many miles do you have on your 09??

Thanks
      for petrified.rabbit: found out from a different GM dealer that change is to be done at 100,000 miles, as you had said earlier, I had to verify because it was such a large difference in mileages..the service advisor I talked to was amicable and called back when he promised to do so..this dealership may be out of the way, but based on the conversation alone, I'd feel far more confident taking my car there than the previous dealer, because the other advisor acted like he didn't know where to get this information and tried to give me a half-hearted answer...Anyway, I can relax for the next 46,000+ miles, and know what it will cost and how much time I expect the car to be down for when that day comes...

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Thanks
      Yeah, 1st gen is 60k miles, 2nd gen is 100k miles, I have no ideal who is saying otherwise We need a sticky bad....

Almost time to do my timing belt NYChevoo's Avatar
      Thanks
      I was bad with my 04 Sedan. I pushed the timing belt to 91K and took it to the dealer and paid the $698.00. They did the timing belt, Idler pulley, tensioner pulley and water pump the also did the serpentine belt. The upside to this is that they warranty the work for 12months/12000 miles which made me feel better.
      Missing our beloved 1st gen Aveos everyday!
      Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver!!
      04 Aveo (mine gone but never forgotten)
      07 Aveo 5 (wifes car gone but never forgotten)
      02 Suburban (Eats gas stations as snacks)
      12 Cruze Eco 6MT
      (46mpg daily? Holy crap!)
      12 Sonic 2LT (Wifeys new wheels)

Chevoo-1/2 Chevy, 1/2 Daewoo. I mean like WTF?

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by NYChevoo View Post
      The upside to this is that they warranty the work for 12months/12000 miles which made me feel better.
      Thats worth the "extra" money alone. Even with @ $300 in parts and the labor rate what it is you got a decent price in the first place.

Thanks

Timing belt replacement help

Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
      Timing Belt Change Walk-Through
      2006 Chevy Aveo LS
      by Zubin Chandran updated 9May10
      revision 1

With the water pump tool or pliers, rotate the water pump until pointer A lines up with notch C. Tighten the water pump down. Make sure your markings on the belt and pulleys still line up exactly! If not, you need to remove the belt and try again. Then using a 1/2" ratchet or breaker bar, rotate the crankshaft pulley clockwise exactly two turns. When you are done, the crankshaft notch should again be pointing straight down, and the two camshaft pulley notches should be facing directly at each other. Obviously your markings will no longer match up. You are doing this to evenly distribute the tension in the belt.

Now, loosen the water pump bolts. Once again using the water pump tool, relieve tension until pointer A aligns exactly with pointer B. Tighten up the water pump bolts. You are done!
      Hi, my 04 Aveo's tensioner failed in the driveway this weekend and I am doing the repair at home. I am replacing the tensioner and timing belt per this write-up with great hope that no valves are bent. I am stuck at the point above and could use some help. I have the timing belt on, the water pump bolts are loose and I need to apply tension to the belt. By what I am reading, I need to turn the water pump gear itself, but the belt has to be pushed aside slightly to get pliers around them. I just want to make sure I am understanding this correctly, so any help you can provide would be great.
      Also, in another write up I have referenced, (Timing belt) it shows his crank shaft gear at the notch on the inner cover, about 8 o'clock, but you advise that it should be pointing straight down, about 6 o'clock. My inner cover's notch is at 8 o'clock so I am unsure which is correct. Please advise. Thank you again for your help.

Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast