•  
    Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324

Thread: Timing belt change on 2006 Aveo LS: My new detailed write-up

Thanks
      You can set with out tool, put belt on right cam first, rotate with ratchet to get belt on left side

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Thanks for the replies, guys. Planning on getting back to it today. I have the Lisle cam locking tool, so I'll first attempt to line up the marks, secure the sprockets, and put the belt on.

Thanks
      Got it done. I bought both the water pump wrench and the cam sprocket locking tool and am glad I did. It took some effort to get the sprockets lined up and secured and then install the belt was and I can see how the previous installer messed it up. Same thing happened to me a few times before I marked the belt and sprockets with correct, corresponding marks. (I could tell they were one off and adjusted the marks beforehand). Once I had something to aim for it was easy.

Lining everything up fixed the loping idle. Runs real smoothly now. Couldn't have done it without this write-up and these comments.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      I also did this job, as per my other post, I found the 4 hardest parts were the taking the stupid outer covers off a pick would have helped... I stripped 3 bolts by over tightening them and had to helicoil, that's the part no one talks about torque values on all the bolts... I had a hard time getting the belt on trying to line up the painted marks was a waste of time... I had a big problem with the top left sprocket because the AC line blocks it and I had to use a swivel adapter and I couldn't get a torque wrench on it.... I ran the engine for a couple minutes and mind you I checked the marks on the sprockets and the bottom 2x and it fired up right away but it didn't sound perfect but maybe it's from sitting it was 100% responsive since it was empty on the water due to a leaking water line to the core that's for tomorrow... I think it took 10 hours total but I think without the stripped bolts and the cover and belt it would have took 4 hours what really helped me was having both deep sockets and regular and my new best ratchet it's a long skinny pittsburgh from harborfreight 28.00 though it really helped but you also need a breaker bar impact gun all kinds of socket extensions and the 5mm allen and my torque wrenches were a big problem... I appreciate this site and all your help though this little car has been a hassle but I drove cross country with it.. so god bless the damn car...

Thanks

Timing

I ended up fabricating my own water pump tool... I had a 12 inch open end 36mm wrench and used calipers to measure it to the thousandths of an inch and used a side grinder and ground it to a 41mm.... 41mm is 1.614 inches lol

Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324