•  
    Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Timing belt change on 2006 Aveo LS: My new detailed write-up

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Its the oring that is stuck, i hope you are replacing the water pump at that mileage. so pry it a little to pop the seal.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      thanks rabbit. I do have a new water pump which is why I've been trying anything, including hammering, to get this old one off. I'll have to pick up a crowbar and try this tomorrow morning. It's hard to believe that none of the aforementioned methods had an effect and that a crowbar will, but I'll try anything at this point.

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      just a thought, but did you drain and open the coolant system? it might be held in there with "suction"

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      I can't imagine anything other than one or more of the WP bolts being capable of holding the pump on through all the stuff you're doing. Did you remove all 3 of the 5MM allen bolts? If so, the only other possibility is for the pump to be somehow rusted into the block. But, I can't imaging that being able to withstand hammer blows, without breaking up the corrosion. Edit: after posting I read Rabbit's reply - never occurred to me, but 16 psi might be enough to hold it in!
      Last edited by avguy; 07-14-2013 at 12:01 AM.

Thanks
      i did not drain the system. I couldnt find the drain plug and the instructions didnt call for it, so I didn't worry about it. All 3 5mm bolts are removed.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      I had to use Vice Grips, and was able to slowly work it loose. I am in the Arizona Desert, so I know about the heat, and ours was at 100K when we acquired it, so I know the Baked On parts! Keep at it, and it will break free. about 30 minutes for me. Good Luck

I'll keep it and add a turbo Aveo5_boy's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by skydriver2008 View Post
      i did not drain the system. I couldnt find the drain plug and the instructions didnt call for it, so I didn't worry about it. All 3 5mm bolts are removed.

Open the hood and on the left (passenger) side of the radiator near the bottom is the drain plug for the coolant. If i remember correctly i think its either a 13 or 12 mm bolt.

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      I think Rabbit is right about the suction caused by not draining. I didn't think of that because I drained the system, and the old pump came off with hardly any effort. First try removing the coolant overflow cap and maybe that will be enough to allow it to move. If that doesn't help, then drain from the bottom of the rad. If you don't drain via the rad, be prepared to get a lot of coolant once the pump finally comes out!

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      That could be the case, but I had just replace the head, and my system had no fluid in it. When the ambient temps are over 120 each day, parts tend to be hard to remove. I just found a 69 camaro (Barn Find), and my Impact is having a lot of trouble. It has been sitting since the 80's.....

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Aveo5_boy View Post
      Open the hood and on the left (passenger) side of the radiator near the bottom is the drain plug for the coolant. If i remember correctly i think its either a 13 or 12 mm bolt.
      Found that, thank you!

Good thought on the coolant system, guys, but that didn't work. This thing still won't budge. Everyone I've talked to, whether it's on here or mechanic relatives or the guy up the road, asks about missing a bolt. I've got all three 5mm hex bolts sitting right here with me. Guess I will try to pry it off now.

Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast