•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: timing belt

What's wrong with my car? jimeb's Avatar
      Thanks

timing belt

Taking off from a red light yesterday my timing belt snapped.2005 Aveo lt, Automatic, air, roof, all the goodies.Nice looking car,140,000 miles .Have to have it towed, should I let my local GM dealer repair it ? thanks

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      The total repair bill for this work (valves/head + belt, pulleys, WP) would likely be around $2000 at a dealer, unless their rate is quite a bit lower where you live. And an indy shop isn't going to be much less either. Do you DIY, or have friends who do? This isn't really difficult work, but does take time (which is why the repair bill is so high). One other possibility, especially if you want to keep this Aveo on the road as long as possible, would be a rebuilt engine with a warranty. That's probably going to cost around 1.5 - 2K installed.

Thanks
      GM just called and belt tensioner lock up.But they want $2600. which is just nuts, which is a new head.. $85 to tow it there,$100. to tell me whats wrong, now another $85.00 to get it home.Rock Auto has a longblock for around $2000. , plus $195 core.Is there a cheaper place out there to get a long block.I could maybe swap that myself .Used to always have engine hanging from a tree in my younger days but never dealt with sideways engines.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by jimeb View Post
      GM just called and belt tensioner lock up.But they want $2600. which is just nuts, which is a new head.. $85 to tow it there,$100. to tell me whats wrong, now another $85.00 to get it home.Rock Auto has a longblock for around $2000. , plus $195 core.Is there a cheaper place out there to get a long block.I could maybe swap that myself .Used to always have engine hanging from a tree in my younger days but never dealt with sideways engines.
      You could get lucky and it isnt the lower half of the engine and it just banged your valves. If they havent pulled the head, keep them from it and do it yourself. You will need a head gasket, exhaust gasket kit from Rock Auto and Head bolts. The head can be rework as long as it didnt crack it or mess the combustion chamber. Reworking the head can cost around 250 to 350 dollars. Depending on the valves cost but you can get them from Rock Auto as well. If you go buy a head already done, Make sure which port it is on your engine first. There is a one oil port head or a two oil port head. You will see a paddle looking hole in the middle of the head on one side or both.

Thanks
      THANKS,,I already told them to button it back up, and they haven't pulled the head yet.Going to get it towed home tomorrow.

Til
      What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      I have a 2004 Aveo that did the same thing. I've replaced all the valves and ahve the car back together again. It even started.(yes i'm surprised) The problem i have is that I had to disconnect a ton of connections from the wiring harness above the engine as well as below. I now have everything connected back except for one connector that is hanging below. It "Y"s off the same set of cables as the alternator plug. When i streth in all directions there is just nothing else to plug it into that i can see. I don't beleive it was a spare plug as its not dirty or dusting and looks very clean. Is there a drawing or something that i can reference that will show me where to plug it in?

Til
      What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      In addition.....I forgot to mention above that when i do start the car it revs high. I have to turn the key off and restart it and then it idles back down to normal. The check engine light is currently on as well. As long as i've had the battery disconnected (3 weeks) I would've thought it would've reset itself unless there is another issue or that remaining connector is an issue. Please help.

Thanks
      Til, there are two connectors over near that area that I know of off the top of my head. There is the oil pressure sensor that plugs into the oil pump near the bottom, toward the front of the motor, then there is the coolant temp sensor, which is hidden on the lower back side of the head, located under the intake manifold, that one is easy to miss, you may need to plug them in from under the car to get best site of them. The other plugs, for the throttle body should be easy enough to spot, I think the 04 just has the IAT connector up top near that area. Make sure you did not miss the coolant temp sensor as it is hidden pretty well under the intake runners.

Thanks
      Have 2000 miles on my new head,(2005 aveo 5 ) put on by tow truck drivers garage..Yesterday as I was driving it started getting warm, so I shut it down right away...Heat was not getting warm.Opened hood antifreeze everywhere.Let it cool , put creek water in it, drove it home , didn't over heat driving it home...Oil seems to be over full.Very thin, runs off dip stick.Doesnt smell like antifreeze out exhaust.Let warm for a minute today trying to find leak, heat warm today.Pulled exhaust manifold cover trying to find antifreeze leak, seems to b wet under front center of head..Spent close to $2000, getting towes and fix and now problems again.I need help.

I'll keep it and add a turbo thankful_ragamuffin's Avatar
      Thanks
      If the installing shop is reputable, have them inspect it for a possible warranty repair. They may have missed tightening a bolt or clamp somewhere or the new head may be defective. Most shop owners want to know if there is any problems after work is done as it affects their reputation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast