•  
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Replacing the water pump: remove cam gears??

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by WyrTwister View Post
      *snip*

From what I see on our 2015 1.8l sonic , the water pump on it is driven by the serpentine belt . So , when the time comes to do the belt & pulleys , I will not have to mess with the water pump .

God bless
      Wyr
      You may want to reconsider skipping the water pump at the timing belt change. If the design is like the 1.6L Ecotech in the 2009 Aveo, you will have to remove the motor mount to get access to the pump. The motor mount would already be off for the timing belt change (along with the serpentine belt) so it would not be that much extra work to have it done at the same time.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      I did not invent the method using the white out . And I have not changed the belt on our 1.8l Sonic , yet . We have about 14,000 miles on it ( too many ) since last June .

Would some one post a link to the vendor of the tool that holds the cam sprockets , please ?

From what I read the 1.4l turbo engine has a timing chain instead of the belt . Other than that , I am just as glad ours is the naturally aspirated 1.8l .

God bless
      Wyr

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by EAD15 View Post
      You may want to reconsider skipping the water pump at the timing belt change. If the design is like the 1.6L Ecotech in the 2009 Aveo, you will have to remove the motor mount to get access to the pump. The motor mount would already be off for the timing belt change (along with the serpentine belt) so it would not be that much extra work to have it done at the same time.
      Will have to look to verify . I am pretty sure the 1.6l Aveo is a different engine than our 1.8l Sonic . Best I remember , the water pump in not inside those plastic covers where the timing belt and pulleys live ?

In which case , I would be inclined to only change the water pump when it started having problems .

God bless
      Wyr

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks
      The 1.6L Ecotech water pump is not under the plastic covers. It is driven off the regular serpentine belt (and has a pulley on it to drive the power steering pump). But the design on the 09 means that you have to support the engine and remove the motor mount to get access to the water pump regardless. Since you have everything but the pulleys out of the way there when doing a timing belt, it doesn't make sense not to change the pump at the same time (especially if you are paying a mechanic to do it).

You might save the cost of the part and 1 hour labor by skipping it. If it leaks/breaks before your next timing belt change though, you just cost yourself more than you saved. Again, I can only speak for the 09 Aveos.
      Last edited by EAD15; 04-16-2016 at 06:24 AM.

Thanks
      You may be correct ? Not sure . Will need to look when the sun comes up . Will try to take a photo .

I have noticed that I can buy the kit with belt , pulley and tensioner . Or I can buy the same kit with the water pump also .

Do the math & the water pump adds $ 32.90 for the Gates brand at RockAuto.com . The Gates water pump , buy itself is $ 37.89 . So , not a huge savings . ( These numbers do not include freight . )

God bless
      Wyr

Thanks
      From what I can see , there is a water pump housing that somehow bolts to the engine . The actual part that is usually replaced is the round " insert " , attached to the housing with " reverse Torex " bolts / screws .

Looks like the the fasteners holding the pulley would need to be loosened , serpentine belt remove ( and perhaps replaced ) and the reverse Torex fasteners removed . Remove the water pump , draining coolant into a drain pan . Install the new water pump and o-ring / gasket . Install the reverse Torex fasteners , pulley , pulley fasteners . Install the serpentine belt & finish tightening the pulley fasteners .

Fill the cooling system and burp it .

Looks to me like the water pump housing can remain in place ?

God bless
      WyrName:  Water Pump 1.jpg
Views: 3753
Size:  294.8 KBName:  Water Pump 2.jpg
Views: 6225
Size:  301.8 KBName:  Water Pump 3.jpg
Views: 2457
Size:  9.1 KBName:  Water Pump 4.jpg
Views: 2624
Size:  16.3 KBName:  Water Pump 5.jpg
Views: 2507
Size:  14.9 KB

Thanks
      I replaced the timing belt, water pump, idler, and tensioner.
      The white marker came in handy (actually I used my grandkid's white crayon!).
      I could have lied it all up, removed the belt and let the cams rotate slightly, then pull the gears.
      Maybe next time. And then I'll figure out how to make one cover into two! :8>)

Ed

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Oh by the way when changing the water pump if you round off the Allen head that hold it in like I did on my 06 aveo dont worry lol just get them out using a remover kit for that problem... then I used the three 10mm bolts that hold the cold air intake box to the body they thread in perfect all I did was cut them in half and popped em right in works perfect and in the future itll be easier to replace the timing belt because instead of a alan head bolt you have a normal 10mm bolt

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12