•  
    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Replacing front brake rotors

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      are those two screws important? i recently replaced mine and those two screws broke and had nothing to replace them...

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      I have been wondering about that , too . I have worked on my own brakes for close to 45 years . All " American " cars . None had screws or bolts holding the brake drum or rotor to the axle . They are held in place when you mount the wheel on the axle and tighten the lug nuts .

On the other hand , watching car repair shows on TV , I see " foreign " cars with the two bolts or screws . And I know that the Aveo design apparently was Korean .

I you are in doubt , buy new bolts . Then , with the rotor off , first try some PB Blaster penetrating oil on the bolt & bolt hole . Let it set for a while . To soak in .

Next , some how , keep the hub from rotating and use something like vice grips or a small pipe wrench & try to un-screw the bolt or screw . Some heat from a propane torch , on the end of the bolt , may help also . Careful not to cook the wheel bearing . A cold wet rag may help with that .

More oil , with the bolt hot , may help the oil soak in .

Or , leave it as is and do not worry about it ?

But , if you get the bolts out , put some grease on the new bolts , before you put it all back together .

God bless
      Wyr

Thanks
      Thank you for the detailed response. As of right now I've left the screws off and all has been fine. Honestly I don't think they serve any real purpose...

Thanks
      I could not see how they were necessary , either ?

If one was present & the other other was not , might contribute to vibration due to weight unbalance ?

God bless
      Wyr

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by WyrTwister View Post
      I could not see how they were necessary , either ?

If one was present & the other other was not , might contribute to vibration due to weight unbalance ?

God bless
      Wyr
      Other than my obvious wheel bearings that need replaced, nothing sounds/feels different to me so I'm not seeing any purpose for them other than maybe just to hold the rotor on while you get your wheel in place?

Thanks
      Perhaps they hold the rotors in place ( to keep them from falling off ) while the vehicle travels down the assembly line ?

But I have worked on older GM cars where there were little circular spring metal clips that held on rear brake drums . I always broke them , removing them , so the drum could be removed . Never worried about them .

I was looking at , earlier this AM , a post describing replacing front wheel bearings . Think there may be a post covering the rear wheel bearings , also ? If not , probably info on youtube .

Which , of yours , is needing repair ? Front or rear ? Or both ?

God bless
      Wyr

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by WyrTwister View Post
      Perhaps they hold the rotors in place ( to keep them from falling off ) while the vehicle travels down the assembly line ?

But I have worked on older GM cars where there were little circular spring metal clips that held on rear brake drums . I always broke them , removing them , so the drum could be removed . Never worried about them .

I was looking at , earlier this AM , a post describing replacing front wheel bearings . Think there may be a post covering the rear wheel bearings , also ? If not , probably info on youtube .

Which , of yours , is needing repair ? Front or rear ? Or both ?

God bless
      Wyr
      It's the front that need replaced for me. I've already bookmarked the how-to on here for when I have the funds to do it. I would have been doing it this weekend, but now funding has to go to the tensioner pulley instead.

Thanks
      I've done it both ways personally. If they break, I usually just leave it. If they come out, I put them back in... I've never noticed any problem not having them in.

To remove them I like to use a manual impact tool shown below. When you smack it with a hammer it turns.

http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-29200-Ha.../dp/B0002NYDRG

Name:  hand-impact_s.jpg
Views: 1571
Size:  66.7 KB

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
      I've done it both ways personally. If they break, I usually just leave it. If they come out, I put them back in... I've never noticed any problem not having them in.

To remove them I like to use a manual impact tool shown below. When you smack it with a hammer it turns.

Amazon.com: Lisle 29200 3/8" Hand Impact Tool Set: Automotive

Awesome thank for the link! I know what is going on my christmas list this year!

Thanks
      Something is not right about the 2 screws / bolts . When you have to buy a specialty tool to remove them .

Either in the design or the implementation . Maybe the metals or the platings are not compatible . Causing excessive corrosion . If our car has these , once removed , they will get greased before replacing .

Come to think about , you would not need to re-install them really tight . Just snug . With the wheel on , they can not come off .

God bless
      Wyr

Last edited by WyrTwister; 11-05-2015 at 09:15 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast