•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Radio Removal

Should I keep it?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Radio Removal

Originally posted by Komail

On both sides of the radio are trim pieces that extend from the top of the radio down to the bottom of the storage bin (they don't go around the top or bottom. just trying to give you reference point). All you need to do is pry these 2 pieces off. I started at the bottom. I used a screw driver to get underneath the trim piece but that was probably a bad choice of tools since I scratched the grey plastic on the adjoining dash piece slightly (probably only noticeable by me). Once you get these 2 trim pieces off the hard work is done. Next it's a matter of removing the 4 screws holding the radio/storage bin assembly in. These screws should be obvious to you. Now the radio/storage bin assembly can be removed. Unplug the wiring harness and antenna. Now remove the screws that fasten the radio to the storage bin. It really only took me about 5 minutes to get the old radio out. For the installation I used a wiring harness which cost me $10. You should definitely get one. As far as mounting the new radio, I re-used the storage bin/radio assembly. All I had to do was enlarge a couple of the holes in the factory mounting assembly because the new radio mounting screws were of larger diameter. You'll also notice that on top of the storage bin there are a couple of nubs that fit into the factory stereo. I had to remove these. I used a wood chisel. You could probably use a utility knife or figure something else out. Just be careful to stay away from the front edge so you don't mar any plastic that will show. It was definitely worth saving the $20 that a new mounting kit would cost. And I can only imagine that the only difference would be it doesn't have the nubs and maybe more and/or larger mounting holes. If it ever warms up above the single digits here I can take some pictures of how to remove the trim and give you an idea of what to expect when you open it up. This was the first time I ever mounted a stereo and was not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. One last note. You will need to use the trim piece that goes around the face on the new radio.

Quote Originally Posted by thebarber
      if you cant take a joke, dont be one.
      Quote Originally Posted by y2daniel1981
      ah yes... the ricer scale.
      1 ricer = 3 vin diesel
      1 vin diesel = 2 paul walker
      4 paul walker = 1hp

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks
      Or an easier way to remove your radio...

get it stolen...

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      Would this be the same for the double DIN MP3 player from factory?, I may need to run a remote wire from the deck to my Bazooka tube.
      06' Aveo
      07' Liberty
      1973 VW Bug. Full resto. summer toy.

hey since im in the process of replacing my radio....is it possiblle to install the radio without a new harness?? also what wires are for what speakers etc that are behind the stock radio?

Still love my daily driver khan4rtist's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by MHPrior80
      hey since im in the process of replacing my radio....is it possiblle to install the radio without a new harness?? also what wires are for what speakers etc that are behind the stock radio?
      its possible, but 1000 times harder, save yourself the trouble and spend the 30 dollars for the harness kit.

any recomendatons of where to get a wiring kit?? like autozone or maybe meijers or something??

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks
      Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far the wall moves after you hit it.

i hope this doesnt sound to stupid but since i want to try it myself....after i buy the wiring harness i just connect the harness to the back of the cd player where the wires are coming out the back of it? just follow directions is all from the harness?

Still love my daily driver khan4rtist's Avatar
      Thanks
      its easy, the harness' wires are the same color as the aftermarket radio's wires (most of the time) so you just match it up, if that is not the case, usually each wire on the harness says what its for (ie. left rear speaker, 12V, ground, etc.)

alright...last question then...does the aftermarket harness plug into the stock harness or would i need to tear it apart or anything to get it installed??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast