•  
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Power Steering Pump Pulley removal Aveo 2008 LT sedan

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by JB_Fraser View Post
      ... From the pic’s there appears to be a pulley and housing, from the pulley side the inner shaft(part of the pump) has a recess which I assume held a mounting bolt (so the inside is threaded)....
      No, the pic from the OP shows the pump as it came off the vehicle, because the pump that's on my Aveo right now looks exactly like the one in the pic, with no bolt occupying that space. With my curiosity level way up, this afternoon I used a mechanic's mirror to look down that recess. The recess is over an inch deep, and it looks like there's possibly something down there that could take a bit. But it just doesn't seem like that could be the head of the bolt that holds this pulley onto the pump. I'm sure this 'bolt' is really mechanically simple, but without seeing it in action it remains a mystery.

Should I keep it?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Yes indeed, thanks for the insight, peeked my interest more as well.
      The AC lines are obstructing any view but from what I see on Rock Auto/Auto Zone that have pictures of this pump.The shaft is an integral part of the pump assembly so the pulley is just a press fit onto the pump shaft.
      It may be possible to install a shaft into the recess (with a small center hole to guide the puller) and separate using heat/penetrating oil and being careful not to distort the pulley.
      However , reassembly is going to be more difficult and probably both tasks would be better if you have access to a press.

If I was stuck without some of these tools, I would drill out the inner shaft being careful to not catch the actual pulley.At that point it should be easily removed and cleaned up to its actual inside diameter. Then tap the new pump recess to the closest thread size and use bolt and spacers to pull the pulley onto the new pump.
      Would be best to find a shop to press it off and on for you if possible.

Cheers

What's wrong with my car? rayslow12's Avatar
      Thanks
      youtube vid on special tool borrowed from autozone. https://youtu.be/YIiUioLhOxc?t=2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12