•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power Steering Pump Pulley removal Aveo 2008 LT sedan

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Power Steering Pump Pulley removal Aveo 2008 LT sedan

Guys, good afternoon. My power steering pump gave away, so i bought a pump in advance auto but it didnt come with pulley. So we are trying to remove the old pulley, but we cannot do it. Do you have any suggestions how to do so? We tried different pulley removal tools but we have no success. The pulley does not have the gap to put the pulley removel tool and they dont sell the pulley for the pump either. Its for an aveo 2008 LT sedan.

Any tips or help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      That's the serpentine belt, and it gets removed by relieving pressure at the belt tensioner (separate belt loop component).

Thanks
      Thanks, but we already removed the pump, we need to takenoff the pulley from the pump. Any suggestions how to do this? We tried different pulley tools but didnt work..

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Got a picture of the old pump with the pulley on it?
      I would think there would be room to put a bearing puller on it.

Cheers

Thanks
      How can I upload files, I cant.. ..

Thanks

Thanks
      Sorry, I read your OP too quickly and thought you were asking about removing the belt.

I've never had to do anything with that pulley on mine, and the service manual only says "remove the pulley bolt", which obviously is of no help. However, they didn't mention needing a special tool, and it also doesn't look like the standard PS bolt setup. So that makes me wonder if this bolt just gets undone using an inserted tool (hex wrench, etc), while pinning the pulley by passing a bar through one of those holes in the face of the pulley. Do you have anything in your toolbox which is an exact fit into that pulley bolt?

Thanks
      I tried .. no luck.

Thanks
      Well this is quite a mystery, and obviously a PITA for you. I tried a number of searches (which I'm sure you did as well), and can't find any information on how to remove and install this pulley bolt. That's strange, because there's almost always some information floating around in cyberspace, particularly if something is difficult to do.

With nothing else to suggest, how about Chevy stealerships in your area? Bring the pump to the parts (not service) counter and see if they might be willing to help you out with that information. And, if the counter guy doesn't know the answer, ask him if any of their techs would be willing to answer a simple question like this. Doing something like this is a crapshoot, but you might get real lucky if there happens to be a decent group of people working there.

I wouldn't try calling on them phone about this. It would be too easy for them to blow your call off, and IMO you have a much better chance if you bring the part in, with a totally defeated look on your face (no problem with that, right?). And perhaps rub some oil and dirt on your face, if it's not already there.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Excuse my ignorance if I have this wrong ��.
      From the pic’s there appears to be a pulley and housing, from the pulley side the inner shaft(part of the pump) has a recess which I assume held a mounting bolt (so the inside is threaded).
      Now that the bolt is removed you need to install a longer bolt and put a 3 clamp big a$$ bearing puller (on the out side of the pulley or you can use the notches) to pull the pulley away from the pump shaft.
      You just want to be careful to not distort the pulley (since these two will have chemically welded/oxidized). Heat or liquid wrench should help. For a longer bolt, try an Allen cap screw of the same thread, but make sure you use a screw because the pointed end of a puller would likely expand that inner shaft and impede what you are trying to do.

For installation, again with a longer bolt and some shims, start the pulley onto the shaft and then tighten the bolt, when it bottoms out at the thread you will have to add more spacers or change to a shorter bolt, but this will give an even pressure across the circumference and make sure the pulley isn’t going on skewed.

Cheers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast