•  

Thread: Need help adding stering mounted radio control pod & using it as a shift lock button

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Need help adding stering mounted radio control pod & using it as a shift lock button

Hi all, got a '08 Aveo5 LS. It did not come with the radio control pod on the steering.

So, I bought one and mounted it and modified the switch to act as the shift-lock button. It works well. Except that the "steering spring coil" (the component that allows an electrical connection between the controls and the steering column) has a limited number of connections. Why it's called a "steering spring coil" is beyond me. And I need one more connection for the switch.

I tried to be clever and route the wire bypassing the coil but that did not work at all.

I noticed that the airbag on my car (USA spec) has 2 wires going to the coil. And I believe the European version has only one wire going to the coil. If I can modify the airbag wiring such that it uses only one wire - then I can use the other wire for the switch.

1. Does anyone have the part number for the "steering spring coil" on a car WITH the radio control pod installed? The mod works so well, I am willing to cough up the cash for a coil that works for me.

2. Can I modify the airbag wires such that I can use one of them for the switch and one for the airbag?

3. Any other suggestions for running a wire from the control pod to the steering column ensuring it does not get wrapped up when I turn.

Comments suggestions help

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      i wouldn't mess with the airbags unless your not worried if they wont go off.. not sure of the difference electronically in the euro version i know the functions are different..(how it blows up speed etc).

Is your switch a grounding function? if it is then you could ground it to the steering shaft and it will spin with the steering wheel.

if not you will need the clock spring (coil you called it). Its about $130 last time i checked when i was going to add cruise there..

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks
      Yeah I know. I only need one wire connection but my clock spring does not have an extra wire for my switch. I am thinking of putting my horn button somewhere else and using that connector for my shift-hold wire. Sounds strange but, I've never actually had to use my horn since I've owned the car (nearly 3 years now).