•  
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Install a Second Dome Light...?

Simple & Clean :) AndrewButler05's Avatar
      Thanks

Install a Second Dome Light...?

Do you guys know how hard it would be to install a second dome light in the headliner? Has anyone attempted this, and will there be enough clearance?

I replaced my front bulb with an LED, but the back of the car is still kinda dark at night.

Thanks,

-Andrew

Still love my daily driver Thymeclock's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by AndrewButler05 View Post
      Do you guys know how hard it would be to install a second dome light in the headliner? Has anyone attempted this, and will there be enough clearance?

I replaced my front bulb with an LED, but the back of the car is still kinda dark at night.

Thanks,

-Andrew
      Here's what I've done on several of my cars: instead of messing with the headliner consider installing a small gooseneck lamp in the console. The old Tensor high intensity desk lamps are a good source for the gooseneck and bulb fixture. Simply remove it from the lamp base and mount it on the console with a miniature on/off switch. The nice part is that the lamp it uses IS a 12 volt bulb, same as an automotive bulb. another advantage is that you can aim it wherever you need light. Great for reading maps. You can trace the wiring and wire it into the dome light circuit if you want it to come on when the door is open.

I didn't need this on my Aveo hatchback, but I did need a light for the trunk area. For that I mounted a stationary fixture on the side of the trunk and wired it into the door circuit. A #97 bayonet bulb throws lots of light.

Still love my daily driver Pickles's Avatar
      Thanks
      Thymeclock, There is a already a light in the hatch area...

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Thymeclock View Post
      Here's what I've done on several of my cars: instead of messing with the headliner consider installing a small gooseneck lamp in the console. The old Tensor high intensity desk lamps are a good source for the gooseneck and bulb fixture. Simply remove it from the lamp base and mount it on the console with a miniature on/off switch. The nice part is that the lamp it uses IS a 12 volt bulb, same as an automotive bulb. another advantage is that you can aim it wherever you need light. Great for reading maps. You can trace the wiring and wire it into the dome light circuit if you want it to come on when the door is open.

I didn't need this on my Aveo hatchback, but I did need a light for the trunk area. For that I mounted a stationary fixture on the side of the trunk and wired it into the door circuit. A #97 bayonet bulb throws lots of light.
      I installed an LED strip in the hatch area on the privacy shelf to light it up and tied it in with the existing cargo light. The Drivers area is BRIGHT, and so is the hatch area, but the back seat is dark.

The Tensor lamp is a good idea, but I would rather have something in the headliner to blend in. No one usually rides back there, but it kinda looks funny being so dark at night.

I just wasn't sure if anyone had done this and had any suggestions....

Thanks for the reply,
      -Andrew

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
      Thymeclock, There is a already a light in the hatch area...
      Pickles & Mr. Butler,

Some clarification is necessary. It this car a hatchback or a sedan?
      Last edited by Thymeclock; 10-03-2013 at 02:12 AM.

Thanks
      I installed an LED strip in the hatch area on the privacy shelf to light it up and tied it in with the existing cargo light. The Drivers area is BRIGHT, and so is the hatch area, but the back seat is dark. The Tensor lamp is a good idea, but I would rather have something in the headliner to blend in. No one usually rides back there, but it kinda looks funny being so dark at night.
      If no one usually rides back there, why would it need to be lit?

LXV-SCOOTADRIVE, ON! 2010AveoLT's Avatar
      Thanks
      i'd hate to say this, but i believe the location of the dome light was not very well thought out on the Aveo; my Plymouth and my mom's Suzuki has the main dome light in the center of the roof, shining light equally in both the front and back seats. the dome light in the very front works well in a Regular cab Silverado or Sierra, but as people have mentioned before, it provides very poor light to back seats, especially if you have to retrieve something out of the pockets built into the Front Seat Backs, or out of the rear floorboard.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Thymeclock View Post
      Pickles & Mr. Butler,

Some clarification is necessary. It this car a hatchback or a sedan?
      Chewy's a Hatchback

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by 2010AveoLT View Post
      i'd hate to say this, but i believe the location of the dome light was not very well thought out on the Aveo; my Plymouth and my mom's Suzuki has the main dome light in the center of the roof, shining light equally in both the front and back seats. the dome light in the very front works well in a Regular cab Silverado or Sierra, but as people have mentioned before, it provides very poor light to back seats, especially if you have to retrieve something out of the pockets built into the Front Seat Backs, or out of the rear floorboard.
      Yep. That's why I was looking for suggestions....

Thats my my biggest pet peeve that I have, the dome light was porly placed. It should have either been in the middle, or have one in the front and back.

LXV-SCOOTADRIVE, ON! 2010AveoLT's Avatar
      Thanks
      Yep. That's why I was looking for suggestions....

Thats my my biggest pet peeve that I have, the dome light was porly placed. It should have either been in the middle, or have one in the front and back.
      i was actually contemplating the idea of taking the dome light assembly from a 2007 sedan that was at pullapart, and daisy chaining it to the factory dome light. (and you know the red reflectors in the front door panels? I was toying with the idea of lighting those up when you open the doors.)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast