•  

Thread: How to remove a sheared valve cover bolt?

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

How to remove a sheared valve cover bolt?

I have been driving with one missing Valve Cover bolt since I swapped the gasket last and I have been planning to replace it again soon (to fix he bolt). I purchased left handed drill bits (OEM Brand - seem to be junk that breaks quickly) and I purchased replacement bolts as well.

Basically- has anyone had this issue, and if so what's the best way to remove the bolt?

I believe the bolt is flush, or at lease there less than enough to grab with a vice grip.

Is is there a specific extractor or bit that you have used that works very well?

Advice is appreciated.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      If it snapped when tightening, you may get lucky and as soon as you hit it with the left handed bit it will spin out - but if not:

- Make sure you center punch the bolt prior to drilling
      - Make sure your punch is really in the center of the bolt before drilling
      - Start with an obscenely small drill bit, but be very careful when drilling so you don't break off the bit
      - Slowly work your way up in size, drilling just a little at a time - it's tempting to just drill an 1/8" hole and go straight to the extractor, but you will likely regret it later
      - Since you bought that particular brand, you are correct in that they aren't the highest quality - all the more reason to go slowly
      - Pack some rags around the area to prevent getting metal shrapnel everywhere - and be careful when removing them
      - I've had better luck with the spiral-cut extractors as opposed to the square type - less prone to breakage
      - Remember when reinstalling that the torque isn't very high - measured in in-lb. I honestly don't use a torque wrench on them, rely primarily on experience and just use the German spec - gutentite....

Good Luck!

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Thank you! This weekend I may be able to get into it. I'll probably spend the money on better bits too because I do t want it to break mid process. It did happen when tightening, so I hope it come out without major issue....knock on wood.