•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to: Change Oil Pressure Sending Unit / Switch

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks

How to: Change Oil Pressure Sending Unit / Switch

How to: Change Oil Pressure Sending Unit / Oil Pressure Switch

Recently, while at a hot idle, the oil pressure light on my dash began to flicker. Being that my car was recently bought, is almost 10 years old, and is a tad of 98k miles, I did an oil change. This was the first oil change done under my ownership. The top end of the engine was rebuilt when I bought it at 96k miles and the bottom ended has no unusual noises.

However, I experienced the same results after an oil change, so this led me to believe that the oil pressure switch / sending unit maybe the culprit. AND IT WAS. So here is a little write-up for you guys before I forget certain stuff.

1. Raise car with jack or place on ramps. If using a jack, please use jack stands. Always use parking brake and wheel chocks.
      2. OPTIONAL Remove splash shield on passenger side, front tire wheel well (10mm socket needed). (Personally, I placed the car on ramps and removed the shield from under the car without removing the tire. If you raise the car with a jack, you are better off removing the front tire. You can change sensor without removing the splash shield, but it just makes it easier in my opinion.
      3. Locate the switch on the rear of the engine block, just above the oil pan. The switch will be on the block nearest to the P/S tire. Remove electrical connector. See attached picture. Switch is circled in red (photo is not mine, credit is due to member "Daox")
      4. Remove switch from engine block by rotating counter clockwise with a 15/16" open-ended wrench. A small amount of oil will spill out, so have an oil pan or container at the ready. An open ended wrench or specifically made oil switch socket is need as the electrical connector on the switch will not allow a regular socket or deep socket to fully seat.
      5. Replace with new oil switch. I used a Duralast #PS437 from Autozone. Apply a small amount of RTV gasket maker to the threads and thread new switch into block with hands-only first. After it is hand tight, using a wrench, give it another 1/4 - 1/2 turn or until you feel resistance. Reconnect electrical connector.
      6. Start car and let it run for a few minutes. Look to see that switch is secured and that no oil is leaking.
      7. Re-install splash shield, lower car, have a beer.

Experience level: Very easy, easy, medium, hard, very hard
      Approx time: Start to finish 10-20 min
      Tools needed: Socket wrench, 10mm socket, open ended 15/16" wrench, RTV gasket maker

View image below for location of oil pressure switch.

Name:  aveo043.JPG
Views: 42634
Size:  190.3 KB

If you have any questions, feel free to post in the thread or PM me.

Last edited by slayerized6; 11-21-2016 at 04:00 PM. Reason: update

2. The Following User Says Thank You to slayerized6 For This Useful Post:

EyeintheSky (04-17-2018)

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks
      PS- from my limited experiences on AveoFoum, I see that many people on this site are not mechanically inclined, especially compared to other boards I am on such as Jeepforum, LS1Tech, FastLSX, etc. For a job like this, you can buy the tools yourself and do the job yourself in your own driveway and it will still be cheaper than dropping it off at a repair shop. Do this a few times with other jobs, and instead of paying your mechanic, you in turn build yourself a decent collection of tools that can be used for an assortment of things.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to slayerized6 For This Useful Post:

RacerX (09-27-2016)

What do you mean there's no turbo? PoisonIvy's Avatar
      Thanks
      That's a great write-up! Thanks! Aveoforum could use more of these. Agreed on doing some of these items yourself. It's crazy how this $10 part would somehow end up costing you $200 if you took it in.

Thanks
      Great write up.

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Thank you for that information, I am not sure what year that was for but the engine in my 09 Aveo LT has the oil pressure switch in the front of the engine.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by lenty View Post
      Thank you for that information, I am not sure what year that was for but the engine in my 09 Aveo LT has the oil pressure switch in the front of the engine.
      Where at in the front? I've been looking all over.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Thanks
      Do you think it's possible to T off of this spot. Have the idiot light on one side and run a machanical pressure gauge out the other side.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by lenty View Post
      I found my switch...finally in the front just line you said. Now...what needs to come off to get to it? Have you replaced yours?

Thanks
      I'm new at this forum. Maybe if I use "quick reply" kind of looking for some help now!!

Thanks
      This post was really helpful. My 09 was a little more difficult to change than just simply disconnecting the sensor wire and removing the old unit. With the unit being on the front of the engine you have to be a little more mechanically inclined. In my case we had to remove the AC compressor unit to access my sensor. Not terribly hard but its not for the amateur first timer. After that i just followed the steps outlined in the original post. Hope this helps. Tools needed: 12mm DEEP socket and a 12in or longer ratchet for the AC unit. 14mm box end for the tensioner to remove the belt. 10mm socket for the undercarriage shield. 15/16th open end wrench for the sensor. Oil pressure sensor ran me $23 at autozone. Gasket maker $6 at Walmart.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast