•  

Thread: How to Add Cruise Control to your 06 - 11 Aveo

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks

How to Add Cruise Control to your 06 - 11 Aveo

This DIY applies to 2006 - 2011 Aveos with electronic throttle control. If you have a throttle cable on your Aveo, you'll need to do more than I describe here.

What you need:

Name:  5396667790_f731a8a147_n.jpg
Views: 6516
Size:  33.1 KB

Parts:
      1. Cruise Control Airbag Clockspring for your year
      2. Cruise Control Switch
      3. Switch Mounting Bracket and hardware

Best place to find these is your local junkyard, but a dealer would also be able to order these parts. The style of the yellow 4 wire airbag connector did change across these model years, so if you're buying used parts be sure you are getting the right one. You can use a test light or a multimeter to check a used clockspring, but you will need both halves of the yellow airbag connector because the pins are shorted when unplugged.

Tools:
      1. T47 Security Torx Socket - If your local NAPA doesn't have it no other stores will. Order online.
      2. #19 drill bit
      3. M5 x 0.8 tap
      4. 22mm Socket
      5. Phillips Screwdriver
      6. Paint Pen

Name:  5396665544_a019927726_n.jpg
Views: 6039
Size:  19.4 KB
      Remove the little covers on the left and right sides of the steering wheel and remove the torx bolts that secure the air bag to the steering wheel. The airbag will pull straight out.

Name:  5396068239_a85b6f3fee_n.jpg
Views: 7038
Size:  35.7 KB
      Unplug all of the connectors and set the airbag aside. The rough cast holes to mount the cruise control switch bracket are on the lower right. Use a #19 drill bit to clean out the holes and check how they line up with the bracket. In my application I needed to file the bracket a bit to fit around the airbag mounting tab. When your satisfied run a M5 x 0.8 tap through to thread the holes and mount the bracket.

Use a 22mm socket to loosen the steering wheel nut, and use a paint pen to mark the position of the steering wheel. Place your hands at 9 and 3 and rock the steering wheel side to side and back and forth to break the wheel loose from the taper seat.

Name:  5396668354_d5136509b8_n.jpg
Views: 6404
Size:  32.8 KB
      Remove the upper and lower steering column covers. Follow the two wire bundles to the yellow and white connectors under the dash and disconnect them.

Name:  5396668354_d5136509b8_n.jpg
Views: 6404
Size:  32.8 KB
      Loosen the four screws that hold the clockspring to the steering column. Behind this there are two more screws that attach the control stalks. These will need to be removed as well to route the cables and connectors over the ignition switch.

Name:  IMG_0403.JPG
Views: 5307
Size:  36.1 KB
      You'll need to center your cruise control clockspring before reinstalling, instructions are on the clockspring itself. CAREFULLY turn the center clockwise until it stops, then turn counterclockwise three turns and line up the arrows. Use a piece of tape to keep things inline.

Route the wiring around the ignition switch and reattach the control stalks to the steering column. Install the new clockspring, remove the tape and slide the steering wheel back onto the steering shaft, lining it up with the marks you made when you removed it. Torque the center nut to 28 ft lbs. Go under the dash and connect the white and yellow clockspring connectors.

Reconnect the horn and airbag wiring on the wheel and route the green connector to the cruise control switch bracket. Slide the airbag back into place and tighten the T47 torx bolts to 11 ft lbs. Snap the green connector into your cruise control switch and screw it into the bracket. Replace the left side steering wheel cover, and pitch the right side cover.

Go for a drive - you now have cruise control!

Last edited by Thud Slamrod; 01-07-2015 at 01:40 AM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Thud Slamrod For This Useful Post:

AndrewButler05 (08-19-2015),Daox (01-07-2015),xintersecty (01-07-2015)

Almost time to do my timing belt xintersecty's Avatar
      Thanks
      Nice write up. Been going through the old DIY and it's way confusing, thanks for the rewrite.
      Please do not power off, firmware update pending.....

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Interested in doing this but had a few questions. If you purchase a Steering Wheel that says it includes Cruise Control such as Genuine STEERING WHEEL (9687527 for your GM Vehicle does this mean the steering wheel has the mounting brackets and already included so you would just need to get the individual switch and the Clockspring?

Thanks
      you just need the switch and clockspring. If you have a 2011 it's unclear from your web link above if the clock spring is part of the steering wheel or not.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by xintersecty View Post
      you just need the switch and clockspring. If you have a 2011 it's unclear from your web link above if the clock spring is part of the steering wheel or not.
      Genuine CLOCKSPRING (96815135) for your GM Vehicle
      Genuine CRUISE SWITCH (96943033) for your GM Vehicle

I was able to find the Switch & Clockspring for the Cruise Control that is for my 2011 Aveo Hatchback, just the only thing that seems confusing is the mention of the "Switch Mounting Bracket & Hardware". This looks like something that isn't included with the Switch and not a part on it's own. However, there are different types of Steering Wheels with the only difference being if it has "W/CRUISE CONTROL" or "W/O CRUISE CONTROL" and then "W/RADIO CONTROLS" or "W/O RADIO CONTROLS". So I was just wanting to see if the Mounting Bracket is included w/ the Steering Wheel in these cases. I would prefer to have a Cruise Control Switch that is on the Steering WHeel like it normally is instead of rigging it elsewhere.

Thanks
      "W/CRUISE CONTROL" <- that means the switch and bracket is already installed.

Thanks
      Finally got my parts in. Unfortunately the Steering Wheel only includes the mounting bracket. Have to purchase the switch separately.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by 7H3LaughingMan View Post
      Finally got my parts in. Unfortunately the Steering Wheel only includes the mounting bracket. Have to purchase the switch separately.
      Alright, got my Switch in and the only thing I need is the screws to hold the switch in. Does anyone have any advice on what type of screw would work?

Thanks
      I know it's been 7 years since you posted this but thanks for doing it. I just added Cruise to my '11 Aveo using this post as my guide. It worked perfectly.