•  
    Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: front strut mount replacement

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      You don't *need* it, but if you've blown your struts, you've probably worn the mounts out.

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      for the price, i would just do it..

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Hello just geting ready to install struts for the first time do you loosen the nut up top and do you have to put a jack under the wheel to loosen the pressure thanks

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      put the car in the air with the suspension hanging.. take off the wheel. take of the sway bar endlink from the tab on the strut, undo the two spindle bolts. and pull the knuckle out of the strut..

then go to the strut tower, and undo the top center bolt, while reaching in the wheel well to hold the strut up (so it doesn't fall out)

the strut is out, the compress or tie the spring, and take the next top nut off to remove the mount and spring, and interchange install in reverse order.

Thanks

Thumbs up Lack of spring cushion = squeekiness on Aveos

I found this thread, having experienced the same strut mount "gap" issue that started this thread. We had failed struts (leaking oil badly), and the gap problem was much more pronounced after replacement. I ordered the Monroe strut mount kit, and I'll know later this week if that corrects the issue. Thanks for posting on this.

I would like to point out that one of the reasons the Aveo's have such noisy front suspension is the metal-to-metal contact between the springs and the struts. I've seen other vehicles that include lower spring cushions (rubber rings) to go between these surfaces, to reduce the noise.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Centerlock Pillowball Upper Mount New Product Release English page CUSCO
      ideas anyone? i'm thinking this would be a great upgrade for our floating mounts.
      Last edited by AveoSwagg09; 08-09-2011 at 11:24 PM.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      You realize that the pillow ball mount will cost more than the strut assembly, right?

They're great mounts if you're a factory rally team, but hardly practical for daily use.

Fyi 30000 yen is nearly 400 usd.

Thanks

Lightbulb Pardon the resurrection...

I realize this is a old thread, but I just replaced a strut today and wanted to post some info on how you can take the sway bar link off without trashing it.

What makes this operation tough is that the link does not have a hex head on the back side for which to latch onto, meaning that when you attempt to turn the nut, it will simply spin the bolt along with it. However, both bolts that attach the link have a hex-shaped neck at the base of the thread. I found it easiest to detach from the strut end, instead of the sway bar. Take a 15mm crescent wrench and wedge it behind the sway bar link, but in front of the rubber bushing. It'll take a little work to get in there, but you'll feel when it seats onto the hex-shaped part.

Once it's seated, take your ratchet wrench and equip it with a 17mm socket, putting it over the nut. With everything in place, push your ratchet CCW and pull your wrench in the opposite direction. It will take some work to free the nut, but it beats having to cut the whole thing off.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by biofueln View Post
      I found this thread, having experienced the same strut mount "gap" issue that started this thread. We had failed struts (leaking oil badly), and the gap problem was much more pronounced after replacement. I ordered the Monroe strut mount kit, and I'll know later this week if that corrects the issue. Thanks for posting on this.

I would like to point out that one of the reasons the Aveo's have such noisy front suspension is the metal-to-metal contact between the springs and the struts. I've seen other vehicles that include lower spring cushions (rubber rings) to go between these surfaces, to reduce the noise.
      I know this is old, but did you finally replaced the strut mount, and when you did, did you still have the gap. I just installed new strut and strut mount, but i have the same gap issue i had with the old mounts with the new monroe mounts i installed. I'm trying to find out if there's suppose to be a gap, or i need to reinstall.

thanks

Thanks
      When I replaced mine there was still a gap.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast