•  
    Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The cruise control DIY thread.

Still love my daily driver
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Since the '06s and up are drive-by-wire I believe all the software control features lie within the ECU, eliminating the need to wire up to the brake switch or anything funky (a stand alone cruise control module).

Please correct me if I'm wrong, because we're looking into this for our '07.

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far the wall moves after you hit it.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks

Re: DIY cruise control

Quote Originally Posted by SYVAveo
      Now that some of you have been using this cruise control for a while, what do you think of it? Do you lose any functionality (other than the indicator light in the dash) verses a traditional, more expensive unit? Does it disengage when you tap the brake pedal or depress the clutch to downshift on a hill? A cruise control for under $25 sounds almost too good to be true (and sounds pretty intriguing)....
      Yes it does all that you mentioned, as if the factory put it in.
      Had mine in for many months now, use it all the time zero issues.
      06' Aveo
      07' Liberty
      1973 VW Bug. Full resto. summer toy.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

install into steering wheel?

also have been using mine for a while now with no problems at all.

I would really like to install this properly into the steering wheel if possible. I read something about needed a clock spring, not even really sure what that is or does, but can anyone shed some more light on if this is even possible?

Timing belt broke, do I keep it?
      Thanks
      what the hell is a clock spring? and why does a digital clock need springs?
      You can not commit crimes in a Aveo. Its just not fast enough.

Thanks
      Might be referring to the wiring that sits on the hub. At least this is what we VW folks refer to the coiled wire that connects to the airbag module.

It's wrapped in such a way that it resembles a clock spring... and if you don't watch out, it falls out and is a complete bitch to get back in right.
      Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far the wall moves after you hit it.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

Re: The cruise control DIY thread.

As far as the 2007-2008 Aveo goes, I have to hook-up two wires straight to the ECM . Does anybody know what kind of connectors I need to insert into the ECM harness? I am having trouble finding them to buy.
      If you are going through hell...keep going. by Winston Churchill

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ihavecookie
      As far as the 2007-2008 Aveo goes, I have to hook-up two wires straight to the ECM (figure 5 in Slide2.jpg - Wired Page 2 of 3). Does anybody know what kind of connectors I need to insert into the ECM harness? I am having trouble finding them to buy. I've attached the cruise control DIY instructions FYI.
      I think the picture is showing a T tap in the one under the dash. I don't think you have to go to the ECM, the wires should be in a plug at the firewall on the inside of the car. You could use 3M T taps or 3M scotch-lock connectors to tap the wires, or strip/solder/tape. I did the DIY mod on this site where you just buy an OEM switch and tap 2 wires and they are both in the plug at the firewall. took me less than 30 minutes start to finish.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AveoRob
      I think the picture is showing a T tap in the one under the dash. I don't think you have to go to the ECM, the wires should be in a plug at the firewall on the inside of the car. You could use 3M T taps or 3M scotch-lock connectors to tap the wires, or strip/solder/tape. I did the DIY mod on this site where you just buy an OEM switch and tap 2 wires and they are both in the plug at the firewall. took me less than 30 minutes start to finish.
      Do you have a 2007 or 2008 aveo sedan? I'm pretty sure they eliminated those wires in my car. I searched for awhile and found the harness with only 1 black wire connecting to 1 green wire (ground), 1 blue wire (Audio control), 1 brown wire (Audio switch). See picture below. That's it! How I wish you were right, it would be 100x easier.

The other question was how to get the wires from the steering wheel through the column to the harness below. I haven't pulled my steering wheel off and don't want to, but I may have to in order to route the wires correctly. I don't want them to get twisted around in the steering wheel!
      If you are going through hell...keep going. by Winston Churchill

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks

Sorry, I should have asked if it was a new sedan. I have an 08 hatch so it was the same as the old style. I can only speak from experience with the hatch, sorry. You shouldn't have to remove the steering wheel though, the clam shells should seperate.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to AveoRob For This Useful Post:

marketwatcher (05-31-2021)

Thanks

Does this work with my Base Model Hatch?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to XJCasper For This Useful Post:

marketwatcher (05-31-2021)

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast