•  

Thread: 2011 timing marks

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Question 2011 timing marks

So long story short, working on an aveo that someone else put a head on, hasn't ran since, brought to me expecting it was out of time. Got everything apart, crank mark is lined up, definitely out of time probably 3-4 teeth. What's getting me, I have the locking tool in the back of the cams, but the timing marks on the gears do not line up. Is this similar to the old Fords where as long as the back in timed correctly then your good? Or did previous person screw up the cam gears? Are they keyed?

2004 1.6 Auto Rust Free
      Thanks

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

2011 has a variable cam setup and gears are not keyed.

Quote Originally Posted by Lwood13 View Post
      So long story short, working on an aveo that someone else put a head on, hasn't ran since, brought to me expecting it was out of time. Got everything apart, crank mark is lined up, definitely out of time probably 3-4 teeth. What's getting me, I have the locking tool in the back of the cams, but the timing marks on the gears do not line up. Is this similar to the old Fords where as long as the back in timed correctly then your good? Or did previous person screw up the cam gears? Are they keyed?
      2011 does not have keyed cam gears like 2004-2008. The 2011 uses a variable cam setup. In order to set the timing belt properly, the flat bar tool must be installed on the rear of the cams. Then the two cam gear bolts need to be loosened and the timing marks aligned (they do not line up directly across from one another). There is a special 2 piece cam gear lock that holds the gears in place while you tighten the bolts.

If the marks aren't lined up when the flat bar tool is installed, and the car was started, chances are a few valves might have been bent. The only way to be sure at this point is to remove the head and inspect for bent valves.

On second thought, you can set the variable gears as mentioned, install the timing belt and run a compression test to check for bent valves.

The cam tools are available on ebay/amazon for under 30.00. The factory tools (much better quality) are several hundred.

If/when you get it running, you'll need to do a crank relearn procedure with factory/dealer level scan tool.

Best wishes
      Steven

Last edited by judge; 12-22-2021 at 05:39 PM.