•  
    Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 Aveo Sedan Cruise Control Install

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

2011 Aveo Sedan Cruise Control Install

After seeing the other cruise control installs, I decided to have a go at my 2011 1LT sedan. I purchased the switch, GM part number 96943033, online from gmpartsdirect.com. I also purchased a pack of narrow female spade connectors to plug into the back of the switch and used two lengths of 16-gauge wire. All together, I paid around $40 for all the parts.

I started by removing the lower panel from the dash and the steel panel behind it. The plastic panel unsnaps and the steel panel unbolts. This is what you will see when you remove both panels.

The plug right there mounted to the reinforcement is the one you want to tap into. Tap into the brown wire at the top of the plug and the gray wire at the bottom. I used Scoth Locks, but you could use your preferred method. I was mounting my switch to the upper steering column cover so I ran the wires up into that area.

I removed the upper steering column cover and found to self-tapping screws long eonough to fit through the holes in the switch. I trimmed the locating pins and some of the under structure of the switch so it would fit the curve of the column cover a little better. Then I cut a whole in the cover to feed the wires through so they could plug into the switch.

I Put the column cover back together, crimped the female spade connectors onto the wires and then plugged them into the switch. Then, using the self-tapping screws, I attached the switch to the upper right side of the top column cover. I am working on a little closeout panel to cover the bottom of the switch so it looks a little nicer.

I took the car for a test drive and the cruise control worked perfectly. My commute just got a lot easier.

Attached Images Attached Images    

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      you picked almost the exact spot i was going to mount mine..

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Looks good. How does it work?

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by MJP92284 View Post
      Looks good. How does it work?
      MJ, It works like a champ.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bart R Orlans For This Useful Post:

Orange_Crush (09-14-2018)

Thanks
      would it work on a manual transmission gear box?

and is there any way that i can mount it in the steering wheel instead of the cover?
      Last edited by akhallaf; 05-03-2011 at 03:04 PM.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      this is covered in all the threads, this is just the first ecotec as a starting point thread
      (typically the cruise threads do not mention ecotec cars until 6-7 pages in)

the addition does work in the manual transmission, and provided your car is as properly equipped as ours (some model in other countries still have throttle cables, etc). so if your specs are close enough, and your dbw, etc this will most likely work for you.

you can put it in the wheel by simply buying the appropriate clockspring, the switch, and the bracket and cutting the location out of the wheel. in total the pieces come to @ $150-175 US. then by installing them in the factory position you will have installed cruise. (no need to jump wires as the close spring plugs into them etc).

Thanks
      Sounds interesting and would like to have it on hand for long trips, although I got 34 on the highway without cruise installed, which pleasantly surprised me...Now, when you go for the factory (steering wheel) position, do you need to disconnect the (-) battery terminal to prevent any possible airbag deployment issues?

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Dons09Aveo View Post
      Sounds interesting and would like to have it on hand for long trips, although I got 34 on the highway without cruise installed, which pleasantly surprised me...Now, when you go for the factory (steering wheel) position, do you need to disconnect the (-) battery terminal to prevent any possible airbag deployment issues?
      Anytime you are working around the airbags, the battery needs to be disconnected.

Thanks
      Hi - I bought the switch. You refer to two wires but there are 4 copper terminals on the back of the switch. Which ones do I connect to? Sorry about the dumb question but I'm not very good with auto electrics. Thanks - Stan

Thanks
      The two outer terminals on the switch are the ones you want to connect to.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast