•  

Thread: 2009 Chevrolet Aveo LT (US LXV engine) Power Steering Fluid Flush

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

2009 Chevrolet Aveo LT (US LXV engine) Power Steering Fluid Flush

Hi all,

I recently flushed my Power Steering Fluid. For the most part I followed the following youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzEIIGZwNG4.

I also consulted the following guide: https://cfrs.ru/en/remont/zamena-mas...-rulevogo.html

The power steering fluid for an 09 Aveo Lt is T VI Automatic Transmission Fluid. I ended up using exactly 1 quart; you may end up using more or less depending on how much you power steering fluid you remove. I got 2 quarts to be safe but only ended up needing 1.

In the subsequent posts I will share images I took during the flush. I'm hoping they help someone out someday.

Last edited by OscUd; 10-29-2020 at 02:54 AM.

Thanks
      Name:  IMG_0021.jpg
Views: 1056
Size:  306.3 KB

At this point, I removed the power steering fluid cap and with a turkey baster emptied the power steering fluid reservoir. Note that I also had the front of my car lifted on jackstands.
      Last edited by OscUd; 10-29-2020 at 02:27 AM.

Thanks
      Name:  IMG_0022.jpg
Views: 1266
Size:  298.5 KB

After the power steering fluid reservoir was empty, I removed the low pressure line from the reservoir. This was in my opinion the hardest part of this procedure. It was really tough and left my thumb sore after. I found that it helped to initially gently move the line around to loosen it a little, and then to pull on the line while at the same time pushing the line with something like the pliers I had there. I also found that it really helped to remove the battery first.

Thanks
      Name:  IMG_0024.jpg
Views: 1037
Size:  302.3 KB

After I removed the low pressure line from the reservoir, I capped the power steering reservoir with a blue balloon and dental floss. I'd think a rubber band could replace the dental floss.

I blindly followed the instructions from the youtube video and got a 3/8" line and barbed connector with which to extract the power steering fluid, but it was too small. I think 1/2" or 5/8" would work better. I had to connect the 3/8" line to the power steering line with a green balloon and dental floss, as the picture shows. It worked fine and no leaks ever occured.

Thanks
      Name:  IMG_0026.jpg
Views: 941
Size:  288.9 KB

As you can see, I used vise grips to clamp the 3/8" hose to a drain pan.

After this point, I added power steering fluid to the reservoir, I reconnected my battery, turned my key to the on Position (did not turn on), and turned my steering wheel back and forth with a max displacement of about 150 degrees off of the central position in either direction. Do this until the fluid coming out of the tube is about as clean as the new fluid you bought, and be sure to top off with power steering fluid once the reservoir goes dry.

After the fluid coming out of the tube into the drain pan is clean, and the power steering reservoir is fairly empty, I'd recommend reconnecting the low pressure line with the reservoir. Afterwards, refill the power steering fluid reservoir, and steer the steering wheel back and forth until you see no bubbles in fluid in the power steering reservoir. After that, there should be no air in your power steering system.

Then take the car off the jackstands, and top the power steering fluid reservoir with enough fluid to barely reach the Max point. Turn the car on, make sure the power steering sounds normal, and take for a test drive.

Steering the wheel causes fluid to flow from the high pressure line to the low pressure line. What I did is disconnect the part of the low pressure line that would feed to the power steering reservoir such that the old fluid instead goes into the drain pan.