•  

Thread: 2007 Chevy Aveo 5 multiple electrical issues just started to happen at the same time!

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

2007 Chevy Aveo 5 multiple electrical issues just started to happen at the same time!

this is one of my four sons car, anyway two days ago I had to help get the vehicle out of the parking gear...in order to get it to my house so we could check things out. So far I have found multiple items be wrong:
      1) shifter stuck in Park
      2) cannot remove key from ignition
      3) none of the power windows work at all
      4) the rear running lights don't work
      5) I just realized that the power door locks don't work anymore.
      6) there may be more that I haven't identified yet!

Again this all happened two days ago,
      1) I swapped out the safety switch on the top of the brake pedal (no change). when you step on the brake pedal the brake lights work!
      2) I then ordered a replacement BTSI interlock solenoid,(shifter interlock) which I receive today and installed it...again no change to any of the situations above!
      3) I have checked all fuses in both fuse boxes (all good),
      4) I then switched around control relays in the main fuse box (that were the same type of course) One of them being for power windows...no change again.

What I can currently do to have him drive is override the parking shift lock and pulling the fuse for the radio (which seems to power the ignition key lock solenoid as well)...But he still has no back running lights or power windows with this band-aid...Anyone have any ideas??? bad wiring harness/s???
      I intend to bring this vehicle to the auto parts store and have them get any codes that the car maybe generating (faults).

Sincerely...one frustrated Dad , but hey! at least it's not my car' lol

Thx inadvance

Update!
      I was unable to solve any of the issues listed above,
      1) I went and removed the driver's door inside panel to inspect and test the door window switches (found nothing wrong) because the power windows don't work.
      2) I did try using the spare ignition key to try and start/ stop the car (and remove the key from the ignition),and tried to operate the door locks...no change, I was told that the chip in the ignition key could fry...had to try .
      3) Going to bring it to a mechanic shop and let them throw it on their analyser (computer)...we'll see if that tells us anything! I suspect a bad mod (ECM or body) or possibly grounding issue...

If I find anything positive I'll share my findings on this thread...

Thanks again

Last edited by peckerhead; 07-02-2018 at 01:15 AM. Reason: Updates to situation of the car

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      The various things that you mentioned have no common electrical distribution or grounding, which makes a wiring harness issue more likely. However, I'd first start by doing a static and load test on the battery, if you have not done so already. If the charging system tests ok, then try evaluating one circuit to see what's going on with that. The driver side power window switch probably has the shortest and simplest run to the fuse box, if it comes to chasing wires, so that one might be a good first choice. Disconnect the wires to that P/W switch, test for power and ground, and then continue the testing based on those results.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to avguy For This Useful Post:

peckerhead (06-22-2018)

Thanks
      Doh, electrical issues can be a real pain. It sounds like you've done a pretty good job of tracking things down thus far. The next step for me would be to see where you're actually loosing power and that is a lot of work following wires and testing. No fun for sure.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

peckerhead (06-22-2018)

Thanks
      Did you ever get this issue situated cause I'm having the same issues where I've replaced both the brake light switch and the BTSI solenoid. My brake lights work as well, just can't get the shifter to get out of park when stepping on the brake light. I've noticed like you that the BTSI solenoid gets zero power when the brake is pressed and brake lights come on. I've even attached a battery to my BTSI solenoid to check if it still powers on and it does. My passenger side window doesn't work at the main power switch and the passenger window switch. My key doesn't get stuck in the ignition, just the issues listed above. Please if you can help me with this situation if you've figured out what this issue may be it will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by MicHaveo View Post
      ... I've replaced both the brake light switch and the BTSI solenoid. ...
      Did you do electrical testing of the factory parts, before hanging on the new ones?

Thanks
      Everything works, even my old parts. All fuses are good. For some reason there is no power going to the BTSI Solenoid. Does the brake light switch complete a circuit and I may have a faulty one. I took apart the old brake light switch, cleaned it and tightened up the contacts, tried the old switch and still have the same issue. Is there something else I should check? I checked the power going to the solenoid and it reads 9 volts and I'm guessing it should be 12V?

Thanks
      .... For some reason there is no power going to the BTSI Solenoid. .... I checked the power going to the solenoid and it reads 9 volts and I'm guessing it should be 12V?
      Not understanding what you're saying there. Do you mean it has 0V sometimes, and 9V at other times? Are you checking pin#4 of the solenoid for that voltage?

Pin # 3 of the brake switch carries the input voltage from the fuse box, and pin # 1 has the voltage going out to the solenoid when the brake pedal is depressed, and it might be helpful to check what both of those voltages are. Another good thing to check is what's at pin #2 of the solenoid.

Thanks
      Nevermind I was finally able to fix the issue! Thanks for your reply and trying to help me.

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks
      Nevermind I was finally able to fix the issue! Thanks for your reply and trying to help me.
      Please post what you did to fix the issue. There is nothing more frustrating than searching for a problem, finding a match, and the only follow up is basically "fixed it!".

Thanks
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vA3kj-aZ3uU&t=466s

This video helped me!