•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When to replace struts

Should I keep it?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

When to replace struts

Yes, I'm asking... figured I'd ask here where you guys are familiar with the car...

Got a 2005 LT with 83k miles on it. Rear end seems to be sagging, or maybe the front has "lifted". I never understood the way the front struts mount (at the top, under the hood) so I can't tell if anything is wrong with it LOL. The car always had a decent ride but handled horribly, and I can't tell if anything is "wrong" or not. I can say that it certainly doesn't "bounce", though.

So I'm not changing wheels and not looking to do any performance mods, but wouldn't mind losing an inch of ride height or so...

Any suggestions as to what I should look for or what products to get? I've been reading a bunch of threads on here but most seem to be performance oriented. I just want IF I need to make a change, make it a little BETTER than it was, ya know?

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? serega12's Avatar
      Thanks

Re: When to replace struts

There are a couple of routes you can go. You could use VW coilovers with the adapter kit that petrified.rabbit on here sells. That way you'll be able to adjust your ride height even lower than an inch.

Another route (the one I went 'cause the coilover one wasn't available yet) is lowering springs (Eibach will give you about 1" drop, H&R will give you about 1.5" drop)... and for a better ride quality you could swap out the shocks/struts to some KYB GR2 gas shocks/struts... I like the setup and the drop is enough for me right now, with where I live at, I can't go any lower otherwise I'll be scraping every time I leave the house (can't complain about anything, really).

If I was to re-do it right now though, I'd go with coilovers. The whole set-up would cost you less than the sprins/shocks, and you have more control over your ride height too.
      2006 Chevrolet Aveo a.k.a. Holden Barina – SOLD
      ​2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS/TC - SOLD

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

Well maybe I should rephrase.

I was thinking more along the lines of replacing shocks and struts and maybe changing out bushings. I was wondering what other parts you guys would recommend replacing on this car while I'm doing the rest of it. I've done shocks and struts before, but never replaced any "bearing plates" or done anything with bushings.

The 1" lowering was more of a "that would be cool" but certainly not why I'm doing it. No way I can convince the wife I need a set of lowering springs on our little econobox.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

I'M pretty sure that stock shocks will run you close to what aftermarket cost, a least that was on my 09.
      Now, one question to serega, because I'm thinking about dropping mine later. Might be different with mine tho. But would the eibach springs throw the alignment off?

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 4g63gst20
      I'M pretty sure that stock shocks will run you close to what aftermarket cost, a least that was on my 09.
      Which aftermarkets? KYB's?

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

buy a kyb (or similar) strut mount kit, it replaces every wearable item that comes off the struts.

remember to check your ball joints, tie rod ends. endlinks, and control arm bushing at the same time. that way you fix it and only need an alignment once..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 4g63gst20
      Now, one question to serega, because I'm thinking about dropping mine later. Might be different with mine tho. But would the eibach springs throw the alignment off?
      rabbit already answered that one, you only need to do the alignment once after you install lowering springs. If you go with adjustable coil overs, wait until you set it to the height you want it at, then do the alignment.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jimstolz76
      ... No way I can convince the wife I need a set of lowering springs on our little econobox.
      Well, they do make the car safer since there's less chances of you rolling over when you have to suddenly change a lane on the freeway because the lifted pickup in front of you decided to stop dead in his tracks... The car doesn't lean as much to left and right when it's lowered, so that's "practically spending $200 on your own husband's safety" .

You could go as far as saying that a set of sway/strut bars and braces from Ultra Racing will make your car safer in case of crash and back it up with the info on this page: http://www.ultraracing.com.my/template.asp?menuid=29

Definitely some good info to explain to her why you want to spend $600+ on your econobox. it's practically investing in your own safety...

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

ill chime in here with my bit of smarts if your going to drop her good wheel gap is a curse i ran my jetta low real low and i loved it you gotta be careful tho. I was running raceland coilovers for my jetta and now that i know i can get an adaptor i will be running them on my wave those coils were i think about 250-290 i know it was no more than 290 and thats all ya got to spend to do it other than a little bit of time and maybe replace the busshings as well o and who and where can i get these adaptors thanks guys

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lauzon
      ill chime in here with my bit of smarts if your going to drop her good wheel gap is a curse i ran my jetta low real low and i loved it you gotta be careful tho. I was running raceland coilovers for my jetta and now that i know i can get an adaptor i will be running them on my wave those coils were i think about 250-290 i know it was no more than 290 and thats all ya got to spend to do it other than a little bit of time and maybe replace the busshings as well o and who and where can i get these adaptors thanks guys
      petrified.rabbit on here is in process of making some adapters for the sway bar end links made up. His thread about them is here viewtopic.php?f=12&t=27834 and you can always PM him

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast