•  

Thread: wheel spacers

Should I keep it?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

wheel spacers

I work as a TIG welder in a metal shop in Winnipeg Canada and am thinking about asking if I could get some wheel spacers made for us. before I ask I want to get an idea if anyone would be interested and see if we could agree on the size. It would probably be cheeper/easier to go with the same size for front and back but maybe we could do slightly larger in the back?
      of course this depends on if the shop owner and/or manager say ok.
      A few months ago the owner of the shop said something like "we are lucky to work in this type of place and if you have a project you would like to do come and talk to us.." ect.

I would only ask you guys to pay what he asks from me plus shipping, I am not looking to make a profit.
      does anyone have any idea about what size would be a good, not to big not to small so it can work with manny applications.
      I was thinking aluminum to keep weight down but what do you people think.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

Re: wheel spacers

would be a good idea if they are hubcentric.. but cost is an issue because there are alot of companies already making them, and we cant go really wide since we would fall off the studs..

What do you mean there's no turbo? trempus's Avatar
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit
      would be a good idea if they are hubcentric.. but cost is an issue because there are alot of companies already making them, and we cant go really wide since we would fall off the studs..

some of them that i seen out there are thicker than the studs but they have a new stud installed between each hole so you need an extra set of lugnuts

2004 chevy aveo---
      2006 chevy uplander

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks

Idk I've always been kinda scared of wheel spacers, but then again I've only used them on my jetta which uses lug bolt not lug nuts. I had a hard time keeping them tight. I was going through a phase where lots of "poke" was cool lol.
      Farthest North Aveo: Fairbanks, Alaska

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit
      Ill be honest, I dont know much about wheel spacers, after googleing a bit I found some pictures of hubcentric spacers, they look like they have machine work done on them, I was thinking something cheep that would only require 1 operation (laser), but maybe thats not an option.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

the issues of wheel spacers (some even mentioned here):

the wheels loosening, is because the spacers are usually made out of actual aluminum, and not cast aluminum alloy.. therefore like the old aluminum wheels in the 70's and 80's they need re torqued after 50-100 miles (but then should stay tight)

hubcentric is very important if you dont want to increase vibration. if you move the wheel away from the hub, and can't keep it perfectly centered it will feel unbalanced.

the thicker than the studs to have new studs, as far as i could tell that would require a 1" spacer or more. i dont think you could space out the wheels that far, at least not in the front. the rear maybe, depending on what wheels you have..

but yes, vw's use adaptors and spaces very easily because they have lug bolts and not studs to deal with..

most spacers to turned on a lath or cnc, and then drilled. and have studs etc pressed if wide.. they are usually not just left to be the thickness of the stock piece of metal, with holes. you need to have more uniform and parallel surfaces than that..

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

thanks for the comments, I guess its not a great idea since there are some available, but I still might try something simple and see what kind of results I get. I am thinking 5mm.

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks

i was planning on getting some 15mm hub and wheel centric h&r wheel spacers with some extended bolts. if you can get the price below $90
      then i'm in =)
      ULTRA RACING canada goodies available here ://ultraracingcanada.com/?q=catalog/27

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      it changes offsets of wheels, for appearance, clearing brakes, widening stance, etc.