•  
    Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Whats known about the front suspension rattle on the 06ish models..

Almost time to do my timing belt ontarian_frog's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Re: Whats known about the front suspension rattle on the 06ish models..

I got that too... I believe it's the front shock mounts that are compressed a little and make the cups hit the shock towers on the way up.

I leased Pontiac Wave from September 2006 to August 2011.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks

I had my '08 aveo checked out at the local dealer in town on saturday. It has been groaning and squeaking for 2 years and I couldn't take it anymore. The service tech drove it for 5 minutes and was convinced that the control arms needed replacing (under warranty, thankfully). I'll report back on how it goes.

Thanks

You see I have a paper route and When I go on really rough roads I can hear the car make like a rattling noise I get out to check and I don't find nothing wrong. Even when I took my car to my teachers shop at the school Me an my friend checked everything for loose bolts and didn't find anything. We did discover the Struts are in need of being changed but with how much they cost since I Broke the back Windshield on the car and set me back about 545.45 on this. I got quotes from every shop in my area and they want from anywhere from $200.00 to $750.00, but my uncle says he can put them on for me but the problem would be that I would have to get the car aligned.

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? serega12's Avatar
      Thanks

For around $200 ($190 with free shipping to be more exact) you can get a set of very good KYB GR2 struts and shocks (change them all around front and back) and you can do it in about 2-3 hours of your time if you have access to a garage with a couple of jacks and 4 jack stands. You can rent spring compression tools at any local auto parts store... autozone takes the deposit on your credit/debit card in the amount of the price of them (around 50 bucks) and then gives you your money back when you bring it back in the same condition.

Here's a link of the set that I have (even same seller I think):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KYB-4-GR ... 500wt_1182

You will definitely feel the improvement over your stock shocks/struts and you will learn a little more about your Aveo... It's very easy and self explanatory if you're at least somewhat mechanically inclined.

They're alway two-way shocks/struts as opposing one-way that you have in there from the factory.
      2006 Chevrolet Aveo a.k.a. Holden Barina – SOLD
      ​2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS/TC - SOLD

Thanks

Thanks My uncle and me can do this but I am going to wait until November to do it. Since I owe my mom 545.45 for what I did.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ontarian_frog
      I got that too... I believe it's the front shock mounts that are compressed a little and make the cups hit the shock towers on the way up.
      Yeah, I think thats what it is too. I was looking at my car last night while trying to fix my ignition problem. I noticed that mine looks very similar (worse actually) to byron84's in his strut mount replacement DIY thread:

front strut mount replacement

Thankfully, the strut mounts are pretty cheap (can be had for less than $20).

Thanks

I also have the ring on the exhaust just hanging there needing to be removed.It is like said right by the flex part of the pipe.
      '06 Aveo man trans sedan
      Keep a light foot.

Almost time to do my timing belt ontarian_frog's Avatar
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hammsaveo
      I also have the ring on the exhaust just hanging there needing to be removed.It is like said right by the flex part of the pipe.
      I have cut that thing off 2 years ago... yet the flex pipe still rattles like crazy.
      I leased Pontiac Wave from September 2006 to August 2011.

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? serega12's Avatar
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ontarian_frog
      Quote Originally Posted by hammsaveo
      I have cut that thing off 2 years ago... yet the flex pipe still rattles like crazy.
      I just had my flex pipe replaced because of noise. I wish I caught the noise a week sooner when I had the rest of my exhaust done.
      After installing gary's header I started hearing a rattling noise at around 2k RPM and it sounds like its coming from one off the hooks that hold the muffler in place. It's sitting about 10 mm away from the pipe that's coming to the muffler and is only separated by the rubber mounting piece, so when the vibration is the highest around 2k rpm it's hitting the mounting hook. I will have to bend it away when I lift the car h hopefully sometime this week when my ultra racing sway bar arrives. Hope that gets rid of the vibration.
      2006 Chevrolet Aveo a.k.a. Holden Barina – SOLD
      ​2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS/TC - SOLD

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

Yup, the rattle/creaking sound is a signature of those models... i had my '07 LS checked, they said that the center plate bolted to the main bracket makes the sound. They also added that it's harmless since everything is tightly in place. It's just to damn annoying sometimes... That was two years ago, so far the sound didn't get worse nor disappeared.

"The best way to deal with sleepiness is to sleep"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast