•  

Thread: Want to get bigger tires

Thanks

Want to get bigger tires

Hey everyone!

I'm new to the forums and have a few questions about my 2009 Aveo5 Hatchback M/T

The wheels seem pretty small and when I hit bumps on the freeway my car sways back and forth as if it is loosing control. Something I really do not like. I was thinking the problem was because the wheels were so small. So I have been debating getting bigger rims and tires. I know that it will effect my speedometer and wonder what it will entail to re-calibrate it to the bigger tires.

Also, if I do go bigger. What size should I move up too? What would fit? I don't have a lot of money to spend on this. Just wondering how big I can actually go without modifying too much.

Any ideas on what I can do or what direction I should go towards?

Here is a picture of the size tires I have about now. I am going on a limb and guessing they are 13in

Name:  2009-chevrolet-aveo5-2lt-car.jpg
Views: 1343
Size:  183.6 KB

Thank you all!

Love the forums. Seems to be a great community.

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      I see you have the oem 14's on there. I would go to a 15" rim with a 195/50r15 tire, it would essentially be the same size so the speedo will still be accurate. That will result in better a ride.

If you need/want more ride. get a set of H&R springs. I will lower yo slightly but improve handling 10 fold, from factory. If that is not enough, add a rear sway bar and then you are be golden.

Still love my daily driver Thymeclock's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by MrJakob View Post
      Hey everyone!

I'm new to the forums and have a few questions about my 2009 Aveo5 Hatchback M/T

The wheels seem pretty small and when I hit bumps on the freeway my car sways back and forth as if it is loosing control. Something I really do not like. I was thinking the problem was because the wheels were so small.
      We have the same car, including the same color paint (except that mine's an automatic).

If your car is swaying "back and forth as if it is loosing control" that's not caused by the wheel or tire size. That's a suspension or steering problem.

How many miles are on your car? Have your suspension and steering checked, because it sounds like something is worn or defective. These cars have a very rudimentary suspension, (to put it charitably).

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Thymeclock View Post
      We have the same car, including the same color paint (except that mine's an automatic).

If your car is swaying "back and forth as if it is loosing control" that's not caused by the wheel or tire size. That's a suspension or steering problem.

How many miles are on your car? Have your suspension and steering checked, because it sounds like something is worn or defective. These cars have a very rudimentary suspension, (to put it charitably).
      It only has about 50,000 miles. Do you think it would be the suspension? I have noticed it may have a slight pull towards the left, but I only seem to notice it when i'm in fifth gear. Should I get the H&R springs to fix this problem? Thanks Thymeclock

Still love my daily driver Thymeclock's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by MrJakob View Post
      It only has about 50,000 miles. Do you think it would be the suspension? I have noticed it may have a slight pull towards the left, but I only seem to notice it when i'm in fifth gear. Should I get the H&R springs to fix this problem? Thanks Thymeclock

Have your suspension and steering components checked, because it sounds like something is worn or defective.

Thanks
      Alright. I will definitely do that. Thanks!

What's wrong with my car? matttodd2009's Avatar
      Thanks
      I had the same problem with my 09. Check the upper front strut mounts. Mine had to be replaced for inspection. New aftermarket ones are designed to fit into the pocket better than the factory ones. Made the car handle much better at highway speeds.

Thanks
      You don't have to answer this if it's too personal. But how bad did it set you back matt?

What's wrong with my car? matttodd2009's Avatar
      Thanks
      I dont remember how much but i know it wasn't to much. I did the work myself. You could probably pick them upcheap from rockauto.com. You can do the repair with some standard hand tools and a spring compress in a few hours.

Thanks
      I'd probably have to take it to a shop. I don't really know how to work on cars yet XD I plan on learning with my aveo. Plus I don't have a spring compress. But thanks!