•  

Thread: turning rotors?

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks

turning rotors?

so i bought myself some new brake pads (hawk hps pads ) and i was wondering if i should have my rotors turned or resurfaced when i swap them for the old ones. after a bit of reading this is usually done if they are warped or i experience vibrating when stopping or something like that. i do not experience any of these symptoms so should the brake pad swap be just fine by itself???

i'm at 53k by the way and this would be my first brake pad exchange. they still have plenty of bite, but i would prefer the performance benefits that the hawk pads offer over oem

any thoughts???

ULTRA RACING canada goodies available here ://ultraracingcanada.com/?q=catalog/27

Almost time to do my timing belt ontarian_frog's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Re: turning rotors?

Shops around here wouldn't do mine.. The tolerance between good and bad on these rotor is 2mm. Resurfacing would probably grind them down too much.
      I leased Pontiac Wave from September 2006 to August 2011.

Thanks

If the rotors are fine there is no reason to get them turned. I would make sure to bed in the new brake pads when you put them on though.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Daox
      If the rotors are fine there is no reason to get them turned. I would make sure to bed in the new brake pads when you put them on though.
      Good point. Some info in here about bed-in http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/tech/tec ... ?techid=85

What do you mean there's no turbo? LarsBud's Avatar
      Thanks

I'd replace the rotors, it's not worth turning.
      You should step up to a performance rotors for the driving you do any how.
      This is what I'm going to put on as soon as mine are gone.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... K:MEWAX:IT
      Always make the best of what you have!
      http://caferacersontario.forumer.com

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ontarian_frog
      Shops around here wouldn't do mine.. The tolerance between good and bad on these rotor is 2mm. Resurfacing would probably grind them down too much.
      hmm really i guess that saves me a few phone calls i was gonna make

ya my rotors are fine so i think i will be ok. just looking for some further insight is all
      and yes definitely going to bed the new brake pads once they are in. thanks for the heads up though

Quote Originally Posted by byron84
      Good point. Some info in here about bed-in http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/tech/tec ... ?techid=85
      nice find
      this one would be for me. it actually says the same thing on the box too
      HAWK

After installing new pads make 6 to 10 stops from approximately 35 mph with moderate pressure. Make an additional two to three hard stops from approximately 40 to 45 mph. Do not allow the vehicle to come to a complete stop.When completed with this process, park the vehicle and allow the brakes to cool completely before driving on them again. Do not engage the parking brake until after this cooling process is compete.

Quote Originally Posted by LarsBud
      I'd replace the rotors, it's not worth turning.
      You should step up to a performance rotors for the driving you do any how.
      This is what I'm going to put on as soon as mine are gone.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... K:MEWAX:IT
      i was definitely thinking about upgrading the rotors to the ones you pictured. just looking for a cheaper alternative as of now since money is tight and my current rotors are just fine. some nice beefy rotors like that will come in due time
      ULTRA RACING canada goodies available here ://ultraracingcanada.com/?q=catalog/27

Thanks

thanks everyone for the input

Thanks

Do you experience brake fade on a short autocross track? Perhaps just going to a higher heat pad would be enough.

Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

edited

Thanks

Do you experience brake fade on a short autocross track? Perhaps just going to a higher heat pad would be enough.
      ya brake fade is definitely there. i've noticed quite a big difference between the first and the last run when it comes to stopping distance, which is particularly why i wanted to upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by AveoRob
      If you don't have any gouges and the brakes are not vibrating when you stop, I would just slap the pads. Very simple on an Aveo. one bolt and the whole caliper swings up, remove old slap new and done. Takes longer to remove the wheel.
      good to know. i think thats the route i'm heading for right now. i'll probably be looking into a set of slotted rotors after the summer for sure