•  
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tire Size Question.

What do you mean there's no turbo? FlaAveo5's Avatar
      Thanks
      They even closed the beaches here in Ft.Laud.! How the hell are you going to get sick cooking in the sun, in the ocean, and then going home? THAT is our lifeblood for money. Tourists. We have he same 'senior hours' at grocery stores, which is good, for them. There is suppose to be a limit of 2 packs of toilet paper and paper towels per person, and certain other items. People act like stacks of toilet paper will stop this virus. It is just stupid. For Christs sake, diarrhea isn't even a symptom of COVID-19!

We have plenty of food IF people would stop buying so damn much!! They act like all the cows/pigs/chickens have died, no more eggs, and all of the vegetable plants have died. That hasn't happened. BUT people hear 'Pandemic' and they think, 'The Night Of The Living Dead'!! Or 'World War Z'. The common cold IS a pandemic. it only means it is all around the world. There is no cure for the common cold either, never has been, never will be. But we live with it for centuries. This is just another version of the FLU. Like Swine ,or Bird flu. The sick, and elderly, and little babies are at a slightly higher risk, same as with ANY illness. Common sense, take care of them.

BUT the politicians are all getting everyone ramped up to a panic, lets see why could that be? It is an election year to get rid of 'Chester Cheeto',....so...this gets him off their minds, and when the voting comes, older poor people will be to scared to go vote! Watch, that will be the deciding factor in Nov. It is boring me to tears. Once Italy and France, get over the worst in a few weeks, the world will calm the hell down!! Hell my sister is a nurse, she is working in a hospital 4 days a week, that puts HER at a greater risk for everything. And she is going bananas over this.

I HAD the flu, or maybe even I was patient zero for this '19' in Dec. But I go nowhere....I thought I was going to die. But I got over it in 2 weeks. It's no big deal!!!! Now I am all over the place, in stores, etc. no gloves, masks, not slathering alcohol all over my hands ,etc...it is a joke. If your sick, just stay home like normal and open everything back up! WHEN we get hit by a hurricane here in Fla. this year, and we will, we are past due. THAT terrifies me. What happens then? Our economy will collapse when WE need FEMA to help us out. People are sheep though, they eat up all the crap they are being fed..

ANYWAY....as far as my car goes, didnt find a place to install tires today, so....I will have to hunt for one, and then I can buy a set of tires online and get it done, before they explode as I am driving. Thanks for the info. take care.

What do you mean there's no turbo? gclark8's Avatar
      Thanks
      I just got an e-mail from my Supermarket Chain.
      My shopping hours are now reduced to 3 x 1 hour sessions, 7-8am Monday, Wednesday and Friday!
      I hope they have replaced some no-stocks!
      no image

3. The Following User Says Thank You to gclark8 For This Useful Post:

FlaAveo5 (03-24-2020)

What do you mean there's no turbo? FlaAveo5's Avatar
      Thanks
      Well we will all be eating 'The Walking Dead', soon, according to the people all running around like 'Chicken Little'. It is a FLU people!!! It will pass. Look at China and S.Korea...they had it, and got over it. Well it is almost gone for them. Hell all that blood, someone must have antibodies for this...but no one is looking into that to cure this .

And they have BILLIONS of people!! They are shutting down all the cities, and just about to start Marshall Law here in Fla. Esp. in Miami and Ft.Laud. The politicians are just loving this. I know this isnt the place to post all this. To bad

Had anyone realized that the common cold IS and will always be a 'Pandemic'?? It just means is is all over the world. Thats all it means. No cure, people die from it, and no one is immune from it. But life goes on. People need to get a grip, take care of their families, be seen by a doctor if needed, but calm the hell down!!! It will pass. We got to many people on this Earth, this will cull the heard. I'll probably be one of them. But that's life. Cant get out of it alive. Thanks for the info. guy. If I EVER get tires and find a place to put them on...ill post pics Take care. Stan

Thanks
      Hello FlaAveo5, I go to NTB and buy the Aspen Touring A/S. $40.00 per tire is a deal and they work great in snow and sun.
      Last edited by logodave; 05-04-2020 at 08:51 PM. Reason: Spelling

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      I buy tires at Walmart. My Aveo is not high speed, high performance. Even the cheapest last as advertised. Walmart will only install the same size listed on the door tag. You’ll have to drop off the rims in for a different size.
      If they wearing so fast, check to obvious susp & alignment.
      Keep tire inflated to max or near for longest life.

Thanks
      To answer your first question, the 65 series tire is slightly larger than the 60 in a 185/14. Here is a comparison using the General Altimax:
      185/60R14: tread width 5", diameter 22.7", 915 revolutions per mile.
      185/65R14: tead width 5.6", diameter 23.5", 884 revolutions per mile.

Tire rack has both sizes , 70 and 72 bucks respectively. I have these tires on the front of a Toyota pickup and a set of 4 on a 2016 Sienna and have had good service from them.

I will hazard a guess that your Aveo is eating tires because the lower control arm bushings are worn/dry rotted and what appears to be a "good" alignment on the rack changes when the car is in motion. I had to replace both lower arms on my '06 at 24,000 miles but the car was 12 years old at the time and the bushings had deteriorated from age. It was my Mom's car, she bought it new and seldom drove it. I inherited it a few years ago, and put new Toyo Extensas on it (185/65R14); we didn't drive it much either so I gave it to my daughter. I looked at the tires a few days ago and they are showing little wear, the car is at 32k. I've rotated them once since I installed them, and I keep them at 35psi all around. I think they were around $75 each when I put them on.

Good luck.

Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by FlaAveo5 View Post
      I drive like an old woman going to church,99% of the time. And as I replied below, I have them rotated, balanced, front end alignment done FREQUENTLY!!! Still loose the front ones. I didnt know there were like 5 'sizes' for this car. I really dont know what that '65 or 60' means. But like I said, the 65's are on it, never even saw that. All I know is the 65's are cheap,online. The 60's are made by like 2-3 tire makers. But the 65's are made by everyone!!! Well I guess it doesnt matter then. As for what I am using them for, it is ALL city driving,and low speeds, and I NEED low noise tires. As we all know, the Aveo isn't packed with lots of sound proofing, although MY soundproofing/rust proofing spray on the underbody is still all in tack! Nice and solid black,but it isnt an inch thick, it is just sprayed on I assume for rust proofing.

So road noise is transferred to the cabin easily through the tires. Any opinion on the Primewells??? Are they junk or ok?
      The 60 or 65 is a percentage of the width. 60 would be a tiny bit shorter tire.

185 is 185 mm wide
      60%of 185 =111mm(4.37")
      4.37" + 4.37" + 14" rim size =22.74" tall tire

65% of 185mm=120.25(4.73")
      4.73"+4.73"+14" rim size =23.46" tall tire

The 65 series tire is .72" taller than the 60.

What's wrong with my car? Daveo's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Boom View Post
      The 60 or 65 is a percentage of the width. 60 would be a tiny bit shorter tire.

185 is 185 mm wide
      60%of 185 =111mm(4.37")
      4.37" + 4.37" + 14" rim size =22.74" tall tire

65% of 185mm=120.25(4.73")
      4.73"+4.73"+14" rim size =23.46" tall tire

The 65 series tire is .72" taller than the 60.
      Absolutely correct, and the effect is more pronounced than you'd think because that .72" difference gets multiplied by Pi and then added to the circumference of the tire since that's what really matters here, assuming it can still physically fit in the wheelwell. Absolute max for for the front of my '04 is 195/75 which I use for maximum MPG.

As for noise, VERIFY your tire pressures are up! Only good things happen when they're inflated fully: more efficiency (= more power!), longer life for tires AND car components and yes, even less road noise.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12