•  

Thread: Strut mount / frame cracking and rusting

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

Strut mount / frame cracking and rusting

So lately I've been having the clunking and creaking going over bumps from the front end. I need to get down there and check all the sway bar links, strut mounts, control arms, ball joints, etc. However upon initial inspection of the upper strut mount (as viewed from the top inside the engine compartment), I found a big issue I am not happy about, and worried about. I'll attach some pics to help you understand. Basically the upper strut mount area in the actual car frame is rusting and cracking out.

Name:  c.jpg
Views: 10297
Size:  179.6 KBName:  a.jpg
Views: 9673
Size:  278.0 KBName:  b.jpg
Views: 8907
Size:  283.3 KB

Suggestions? Is something like this covered under any kind of warranty. Being an '06 I'm not sure if I'm out of range. How can I stop it from getting worse? Weld a bead along the crack line and hope it holds???

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      My '05 Did something similar but it was because of weight reasons. However my crack was not nearly as defined as yours. What I did was clean and wire brush mine and put a fairly generous bead on the engine side. I did not do under the car just because I didn't want to ruin any clearance for the mount or the Strut. If your really good with shop tools you could make half inch or so brackets and bead those as well, but I think it's not necessary It didn't get rid of my creaking sound, turned out I just needed a new strut mount.

So My Recommendation is remove the strut and get a new mount for it, then clean the top. Throw a bead on it and go about your day. Depending on how good you are with a welder (I am not) I removed my hood. Wish I had pictures for ya, but mine has been traded off.

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      it looks mostly like the seam sealer is what is missing, unfortunately on newer cars, the seam sealer is on the metal and then the car is painted. So once it cracks, rust comes on quickly. I would do the repair siege suggests. although I believe that should qualify for the corrosion warranty and be fixed for free provided you are within the terms.

if not, you could grind off the seam sealer, hammer the tower to the strut top (the seam that looks cracked) and weld it like you want, that will not only be a good repair it will stiffen your body flex.

What do you mean there's no turbo? Chevy Customer Svc's Avatar
      Thanks
      2006aveo,

As the vehicle is a 2006, I believe you would be outside of most warranties at this point. However, we can check to make sure if you wanted to send us the last 8 digits of your VIN (with a brief summary of the situation) in a direct message.

Sarah (Assisting Vanessa), Chevrolet Customer Service
      Don't forget to check out my.chevrolet.com link and take advantage of a wealth of vehicle information!

For information on the GM Privacy Statement, please visit http://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      My 2007 Aveo5 had the same problem - had it welded - coated the weld with undercoating and good as new!! I hope this works out for you. May be a bad drainage are on the passenger side as my drivers side was fine.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Thanks for all the tips. I'm going to wire brush/prep it, and lay a bead from atop. I'll treat with undercoating as well to finish it off. Again, thanks for the tips.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      I am almost positive mine is a result of a huge pot hole impact on an already blown strut - the hole was so big and there was no fluid left in the strut that the strut tower took the impact (as well as my bent allot wheel) that the sealer cracked and water from car washes etc had gotten in there. Several months later the rust started and the rust ring around the strut tower started. Mine was actually worse than 2006aveo - not that this is a competition I wish to win. As soon as I saw this thread I went out to look at mine and -f.uc.k I found it. My neighbour who is a contractor welds a great deal of stuff and fixed mine up for me (free) and now the car actually feels sturdier in the front end. I put several coats of undercoating on it as well as took some chain lube and spayed up inside the strut tower. So 2006aveo if you have had a hard hit to the passenger side it may be the start of it. Here in Ontario a great deal of salt is used but the hit is just a theory. Anyways thank for making me look and now it is fixed. Christmas greetings to all!!
      Last edited by Orange07; 12-09-2012 at 11:59 AM.

Thanks
      OH WOW...MY '06 is doing the exact same thing! my rusting started at about 80k and now it's extensive. I was thinking this would cause the strut to break through, and now thats confirmed. Great.

Knock on wood I'm at 130k now and going strong.. exhaust has started leaking
      Last edited by DailyDriverMark; 08-25-2013 at 01:57 PM.
      Find Aveo How-to's at my blog. http://aveodiy.blogspot.com/
      Timing belt replacement how-to with photos and more....

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by DailyDriverMark View Post
      ... exhaust has started leaking
      I just went through this with my '05, and suspect this will happen like clockwork for anyone living in the rust belt. You should get the front end up on ramps, and carefully examine each section - muffler, mid pipe, front pipe, and cat. On mine, every section is rusted and will eventually need to be replaced. The area breaking through first was just above the muffler-to-mid pipe clamp (the forward pipe attached to the muffler). I actually ordered all 3 pipes, but ended up only replacing the muffler for now, because I'm never going to be able to deal with the rusted factory cat flange (it would require welding, which I don't do). When something else goes, I'll just buy a new $200 cat and finish the entire remainder of the system. So depending on how long you plan to keep your Aveo, you should map out your strategy before doing anything on the exhaust system.

Thanks
      I saw an episode on Wheeler Dealers ( was a different brand of car ) where Ed Welded in a metal patch , on a strut tower .

I think I would clean as much as I could , then weld up the cracks . Clean up the welds & then prime & apply corrosion proofing .

Next I would cut another piece of metal and weld a doubler plate on top of the original sheet metal . With corrosion protection in between . Clean up the welds and apply corrosion protection .

I am personally glad I do not live in the "Rust Belt " .

God bless
      Wyr