•  

Thread: Steering loose on the fwy about 3-4" of steering wheel movement

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

Steering loose on the fwy about 3-4" of steering wheel movement

Hello group, after my timing belt, rat hose repairs, I am going to replace my headlights and driving the last two days I realize on the fwy my steering feels pretty light and I have about 3-4" of play before I feel the wheels, the car tracks pretty straight and when I hit the brakes it's relatively fine but I want to drive cross country soon and having done it in Oct 2020 I know when big trucks pass I have to counter steer a lot.

So my plan is to replace the front end parts that seem relevant.
      Like some of you, I've never tried something like this before and hoping I can do it. I ordered a 10 piece kit that has the control arms, tie rods inner and outer, a swaybar (I think) and some boots. I also ordered a c-shape press (about 20.00).

I read some of your posts about spot welding and I'm not understanding what you mean factory is welded and some of you are mentioning having stripped bolts and I've already had to add about 6 helicoils on this car and I'm getting sick of it. Would someone mind offering suggestions? I'm concerned about the front end alignment and I will count the turns removing the tie rods but anything else I that can make this easier, should I have torch or just the penetrating lube, I was planning on jacking the car up removing the tires and spraying all the bolts, and bearings a day before the job to let it soak in. I sure could use some help...

Thanks, David

What do you mean there's no turbo? northguest47's Avatar
      Thanks
      Heya David I had to do a lot of troubleshooting on my car a few years back, and my short answer from my experience was.. bushings, loose ball joints, and bearings. We didn't do the upper a-arms I have not heard of many folks saying they ever got really loose, but when you do your install you can check them for play.
      The wheel bearings were a surprise to me that they could contribute to 'floaty steering' as I think you are describing. Specifically because they weren't making any noise but when replaced also contributed to the steering getting back to a more precise feeling. Doing the kit is the right way to go - if I ever do troubleshooting again, may as well do them all as my friend said.
      As a follow-up we had 2 blow-torches on hand for the tear down.. and they needed to be used.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to northguest47 For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (02-25-2021)

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Hi thanks for replying, I was giving up hope... I've never used a torch to loosen something, can you give me a basic idea how hot it should get and would I heat up anything that is not budging with a impact driver. How hard was a wheel bearing