•  

Thread: Shaking steering wheel when stopped?

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

Shaking steering wheel when stopped?

So, I've noticed that when i'm idling at a stoplight, my steering wheel shakes or vibrates. It is slight and has happened since I've had the car I believe. After much research, I've come up with two options.
      1.) warped roters
      2.) engine mounts
      Car has 34,000 miles on it. 2010 model. I don't suspect all these problems!
      anyways, Is this a huge concern, would this cause me to break down? cause larger damage later on?
      Also, let me add that my brakes are TIGHT. they work great, therefore, causing the confusion.

Last edited by BabyBlue2010; 12-23-2013 at 05:49 AM.

Casual Roadtripper RicochetRandy's Avatar
      Thanks
      There are a couple more possibilities that come to mind. Spark plugs are one, I'm not sure if the change interval is close to the mileage on your car though, need to check an owner's manual for that!
      Could also be carbon buildup causing that too, does it make a tappy sound at all? (The engine itself, I mean)
      Another possibility is intake; do you hear any hissing if you pop the hood while the engine is running? Particularly around the intake hose, but probably not the hose itself.

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      if you are a complete stop, ie not moving, then it is not warped rotors, that is a vibration while stopping and usually felt in the pedal, not the steering wheel.

the engine mounts it could be, but based on the design is not likely to transfer to the wheel only while stopped. but to check the mounts, pop the hood, and look at the engine while applying load, (in gear just a little of gas enough to move engine not enough to run yourself over). If it moves more than say an inch it has a bad mount, also try shifting from reverse to drive and see how far the engine jumps..

how bad off a shaking is it? is it turning shaking or a vibration only? could it be that it is just a mechanical to the drivetrain that you are feeling.

Still love my daily driver Thymeclock's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit View Post
      if you are a complete stop, ie not moving, then it is not warped rotors, that is a vibration while stopping and usually felt in the pedal, not the steering wheel.

the engine mounts it could be, but based on the design is not likely to transfer to the wheel only while stopped. but to check the mounts, pop the hood, and look at the engine while applying load, (in gear just a little of gas enough to move engine not enough to run yourself over). If it moves more than say an inch it has a bad mount, also try shifting from reverse to drive and see how far the engine jumps..

how bad off a shaking is it? is it turning shaking or a vibration only? could it be that it is just a mechanical to the drivetrain that you are feeling.
      With the engine running at idle, after it is warmed up, put it in neutral and observe what it does. Do you feel vibration then?

Thanks
      I've now ruled out roters as a cause. I guess you could describe it as more of a vibration, that makes more sense. I haven't tried the neutral thing yet but I will and post my results.
      Also, I was observing it today and I noticed that it is VERY slight when moving as well. but gets SLIGHTLY worse when at a stoplight.

What do you mean there's no turbo? AveoJoe's Avatar
      Thanks
      if its the motor mounts" the best was to test them is have someone put the car in drive while you stand to one side with the hood open, hand break on if the motor jumps as if its going to come out replace the motor mounts. Some times cheap gas bad plugs or wires will make the engine shake but if it where me i would try seafoam add to gas when tank is at 1/4 level let run to almost empty. I also would clean the throttle body if this fails change plug then wires.
      Last edited by AveoJoe; 12-24-2013 at 11:58 AM.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      i am still not convinced this is a running issue, mounts probably. but if it was plugs or some other issue with running, then the car would have a hesitation or miss long before it starts shaking. And both of those should cause a cel.

Thanks
      So I observed this. When i put my car in Neutral, the vibration stops. what does that mean?

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      that removes the load (torque) on the engine I would check and see about the dogbone or torque engine mount..

LXV-SCOOTADRIVE, ON! 2010AveoLT's Avatar
      Thanks
      Check with your Local Chevy Dealer and see if your Aveo has had Emissions Recall #11290A done to it already. (its where the Spark Plug Boots Degrade and cause either a Flashing Check Engine Light or a Heavy Miss, which would probably cause your vibration; they replace the boots, and you get a Free Tune-up out of it!) my Aveo Sedan is same year as your Aveo5 (2010), and was affected by this recall.