•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rotors Install

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

Rotors Install

Hi yall,
      I am new to this forum, but I've been looking in the threads for about 2 months trying to find someone who posted pictures or gave details on how to install new rotors and pads. I have an '04 hatchback. I really need to know what tools i will need. It's just an OEM replacement and I am semi-mechanically capable of doing things myself as long as no special tools are required. I know there are two screws in each rotor that require a philips-head driver (i saw those while rotating the tires every 10k), but what socket sizes for removing the calipers and brake pads? And is there anything i should be careful of/look for besides making sure the calipers dont hang? I have changed carbs and headers etc.. on my fathers old truck a few times so this shouldn't be too difficult, I just dont want to get the car jacked up and then be stuck scratching my head and not being able to have a DD. Thanks a bunch for any help!
      JR

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      its really not hard at all, i dont remember the specific sizes, but take the caliper off swapping out the pads is not bad at all.

just make sure you have something to compress the piston and you will be ok.

Thanks
      As Rabbit said, its not hard. I just did it the other weekend and took a bunch of pics. I'll be posting a DIY pretty soon.

Almost time to do my timing belt ontarian_frog's Avatar
      Thanks
      I believe removing the two screws hold the rotors will give you a pretty good time. I had to buy an impact driver to get mine off. Other than that, I believe a 17mm wrench to remove the caliper and a caliper spreader if you can't push the caliper piston in by hand (I was able to do it by hand, but it was pretty hard.)

A can of brake clean to clean the new rotors and some grease if you feel like taking the calipers apart and greasing the sliding pins (probably a good idea to do so since they probably haven't seen grease in 7 years now.) I believe you'll need a 12mm or 14mm wrench or socket for that.
      I leased Pontiac Wave from September 2006 to August 2011.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Ok everybody, thanks for the help. I figured it couldn't be too difficult. Doax, pictures would be a great help! my local mechanic who i trust has put in the timing belt quoted me front rotors and pads for 190 bucks and by reading online what others pay figured it was a great deal since he would buy the same less expensive parts as I would. But I figured I would have some fun and learn and do it myself and save $100. Thanks again, ill post back up and maybe take some Pictures as well when im done.
      JR

Thanks
      Rotors and pads for $190 is a pretty good price. I just paid $78 just for the rotors, and they weren't anything fancy.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      I found rotors and pads on partsgeek.com for around 85 bucks (cheapy rotors and semi metalic pads (or i can go ceramic for 10 bucks extra)) plus whatever shipping would be. And that is fine with me becasue I cycle alot and the only thing i use my car for now is commuting 4 miles a night for work. And yes, my local machanic is really relaxed when it comes to quoting, at least with me. It really all depends on how I feel once the parts come in. I might have an extra $100 or so by then and I might just give it to him and know that I can trust him, but like I said, I want to learn.
      JR
      Last edited by jriggs87; 06-15-2011 at 09:32 AM.

Thanks

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Recently i went to a mechanic to upgrade the rotor to 286mm.

While he was installing the upsized rotor, i notice he did not put back the 2 screws that holding down the rotors.

When i ask him, he told me that after installing an upsized rotor, the screw wont match, that is common. Anyway the wheels will hold the rotor in place.

Can someone please advise if this is true?

Cool Dude.
      Thanks
      it sounds pretty true to me, although id make sure the wheel is on perfectly level.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast