•  

Thread: Replace Brake Pads and Shocks on Rear Wheels

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

Replace Brake Pads and Shocks on Rear Wheels

Hi I am new to the forum and would greatly appreciate some help.

We took our 2006 Aveo 1.6 LS to our local Meineke for an oil change and whilst there they advised that both rear wheels needed new brake pads and shocks. They wanted to charge us $400 to do the job but as we are strapped for cash we wondered if we could do it ourselves despite our lack of knowledge at this stage. Can anyone please help us with the following:

1. What our Aveo's brake system consist of exactly (diagrams/photos)
      2. What we'd need to purchase exactly (best value options preferred!)
      3. How we'd actually change the pads/shocks (is there a step-by-step tutorial somewhere?) and what tools we'd need
      4. Anything else we might have forgotten that we need to take into consideration.

If you need any more information to be able to advise please let me know. Thanks very much!

Stuart

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by mrneonshuffle View Post
      Hi I am new to the forum and would greatly appreciate some help.

We took our 2006 Aveo 1.6 LS to our local Meineke for an oil change and whilst there they advised that both rear wheels needed new brake pads and shocks. They wanted to charge us $400 to do the job but as we are strapped for cash we wondered if we could do it ourselves despite our lack of knowledge at this stage. Can anyone please help us with the following:

1. What our Aveo's brake system consist of exactly (diagrams/photos)
      2. What we'd need to purchase exactly (best value options preferred!)
      3. How we'd actually change the pads/shocks (is there a step-by-step tutorial somewhere?) and what tools we'd need
      4. Anything else we might have forgotten that we need to take into consideration.

If you need any more information to be able to advise please let me know. Thanks very much!

Stuart

Well, the rear end has brake hubs.
      as for the shocks, there's two bolts above the tire and one at bottom of shock.
      you can get shocks $35/ea~ and the mounting kit for $5-15~, then just replace em, use the stock bolts, the ones in the kyb mounting kits are a bit to big. Be sure to tighten everything nice and tight, I didn't and now my mounting kit is a little bent so it knocks over some bumps against wheel well.
      i'm in school right now, I can post some links later

Thanks
      Thanks Mike appreciate it

Thanks
      OK so my wife took the Aveo in for a new tire today (had a slow puncture for a while) and this different garage told us the pads DON'T need replacing but the shocks do and said it would cost $300 for the privilege of them replacing them!

Is there a tutorial somewhere on how to replace my Aveo's rear shocks and does anyone recommend some good shocks to purchase?

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      You probably won't find much on this job because it's one of the easier ones, and guys having done any prior DIY will find this to be very simple. The only catch is that you may need new mounting kits and also possibly new covers as well, depending on rust. But typically you won't find that out until the factory shock has been removed. Although you probably won't need new covers, if you do the're a real PITA to find from the parts guys. I had to finally go to a Chevy dealer to get the one I needed replaced.
      If you can't have your Aveo off the road for a day or so, you could remove the shocks and then reinstall them if the mounting hardware and/or covers are too rusted to be reused. Then install the new parts once you get everything you need. I went with KYB shocks, but other brands would likely be fine as well. Torque is 37 for the upper 2 bolts, and 53 for the lower bolt. Support the wheel (right next to the shock) with another jack during removal and install.

Thanks
      I just replaced mine. The rears are easy to do. buy shocks and buy the strut mount kits. you will need both rear shocks and (2) strut mount kits. I purchased the monroe strut which had covers on it, so I took the old assembly off, and put the new strut kit on the shock and installed it as one unit.

You should also check the rear trailing arm bushings. those get tore up pretty easily and probably need replacing as well. they suck to change in comparison, but you can buy them and have someone replace them for you.

look at rockauto for purchasing, they typically have the best prices. if you need any help PM me.

Thanks
      Thanks to avguy and lookatme for your responses