•  

Thread: Rear Trailing Arm

What's wrong with my car? Eyes600's Avatar
      Thanks

Rear Trailing Arm

I have a 1.4LT 2008 Aveo and on my last MOT I was told the rear trailing on both sides needed attention. I've checked with several garages but they said I need to replace the whole lot as you can't just replace the worn parts. Any help or advice please on what to-do.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      This is pretty much a DIY job, unless you know a mechanic willing to do it. Dealership will tell you you must replace whole axle.

The bushings need attention? If so its a PITA job but I did it reading from the forum, it lead me to a VWVortex forum how-to. I did not remove my axle it took about 12 hours, use the VW bushings I remember reading they're for a heavier car and should last the life of your aveo, you should probably also order the bolts too JIC, the bolts are longer and have apoint in them so make sure the point is going in. I would change both sides even if only 1 looks worn.

What's wrong with my car? Eyes600's Avatar
      Thanks

Thanks

Cheers for that, and yes I was told I need to replace the axle and the price tag was pretty high. I don't have the tools or the time to do it myself and the local garage doesn't really want anything to do with it. As if it took you 12 hours: that times what a garage charges per hour, well, just too much really.

Almost time to do my timing belt xintersecty's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Eyes600 View Post
      Cheers for that, and yes I was told I need to replace the axle and the price tag was pretty high. I don't have the tools or the time to do it myself and the local garage doesn't really want anything to do with it. As if it took you 12 hours: that times what a garage charges per hour, well, just too much really.
      It's difficult mate to be told that pay off or screw off.

A pro can do that job in about 4 hours. I swapped my rear-axel beam in about 4 and I am not a pro.

Here is a link to the replacement thread so you can have idea on what to do: http://www.aveoforum.com/forum/f81/b...ck-dead-16085/

I would order the bushings and then start looking for a garage and offer about 4 hours labor.
      Please do not power off, firmware update pending.....

Should I keep it?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      I suspect my rear trailing arm is bent, my rear wheel alignment is out and my tyres ware faster than my front ones. Im considering getting a replacement from a bone yard, and i have the Workshop manual that clearly shows how to do it.

My challenges are my limited tools and without other transport my wife will be stressed

Almost time to do my timing belt xintersecty's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by DavidB View Post
      I suspect my rear trailing arm is bent, my rear wheel alignment is out and my tyres ware faster than my front ones. Im considering getting a replacement from a bone yard, and i have the Workshop manual that clearly shows how to do it.

My challenges are my limited tools and without other transport my wife will be stressed
      You can look to the above link above where I replaced my trailing arm. Considering you must have had hit something to cause it to go out of alignment. If you go through that thread you can see how the hubs are mounted on the trailing arm. Then you can see how thin washers placed on the hub can bring your alignment back into spec. Consider that option.
      Please do not power off, firmware update pending.....

Should I keep it?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by xintersecty View Post
      "Considering you must have had hit something to cause it to go out of alignment.".
      Unfortunatly its even worse. I bought the car from a dealer without much history. I suspect its been rear ended since the boot(trunk) does not close properly with some help. Things at the back look a little out of line.

Ill consider your option with the washers. The alignment report had the exact error.