•  
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: help on my wheel search

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Re: help on my wheel search

check out vwvortex.com's 4x100 wheel classifieds. about 1000 wheels to choose from in all price ranges.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit
      check out vwvortex.com's 4x100 wheel classifieds. about 1000 wheels to choose from in all price ranges.
      don't most VW wheels have lower offsets? I've always been scared of running wheels with offsets that are too low because of possible damage to the wheel bearings... at least thats the trouble I ran into with my Subaru.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

you cant run the super low offset aftermaket wheels. but the oem and such offset wheels will work fine.

offset is also relative to width. keep that in mind, i dont have exact specs on our stock wheels but the are like guessing here a 5.5? and 40mm offset? that means there is 109.85mm or @ 4 1/3" of backspacing, so a 7inch wide wheel can have as low as a +20mm offset and still have the same backspacing, meaning there is as much tire where OEM specified as the original wheel had.. It is when then wheels leave the area from under the wheels bearings, that cause them to fail. Like if you still had a 5.5 inch rim but went to a 0 offset, you would only have 2.75" under the bearing.

a vw has about a 35mm average offset. with a 6-7 inch rim. so the offset for the wheels size is correct and will not hurt your bearings.
      I am running a 30mm offset 7.5 in wide wheel.

95% of the time that people think the offset of a wheel directly caused the failure, it is misinformation.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12