•  
    Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Coilovers (crosspost)

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      I also went with quarter inch spacers in the rear to separate the spring from the inside of the tire in the back. The eighth inch of clearance between the two was not enough for me to feel comfortable with hard driving and not rubbing. Even at a near factory height, she is still as stiff as a board and handles corners like shes on rails. Also, even raising the car to this height, it does not affect the swaybar or its custom mounts. (Which are a godsend, thanks Rabbit!). I did end up using the factory spindle bolts. They were long enough, and the bolts that came with the kit were actually longer when installed on my car, and required at least 5 to 6 washers so the nut could tighten down. The shaft of the bolt protruded about a eighth of an inch past the spindle hole. No worries though. It works flawlessly.

Last edited by d3vo1d; 09-04-2012 at 12:21 PM.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      hey guys im new to this forum n my name is frank. i have a 05 chevy aveo 5 ive been looking for a coilover kits n where i could order them from. please help a brother out n would a honda rims fit in my car

I'll keep it and add a turbo festersays's Avatar
      Thanks
      I have two questions, going out to all that have done this and have the end link kit...

1. How much did the spindle need modified? I plan to go back to stock struts when I sell the vehicle. I want to be able to keep my coilover goodies and am wondering if I could modify the coilover instead of the spindle.

2. Is it possible to get information on how the end link kit was produced? It doesn't seem there's enough interest for another group buy but if I go ahead with coils it would only make sense if I could keep my sway bar.

Thanks in advance!

Still love my daily driver classic67's Avatar
      Thanks
      I ended up taking 1/2 inch off of my spindles and i went back 2 struts no problem i just had to use washers on both sides to fill the gap been like that for a month no pulling or noise.

As far as making your own its possible you just need an L shaped bracket cut out of 1/4 inch steel with three wholes drilled 2 for the bracket to be held on the spindle 1 for the end links to mount to. you will also need bolts that are 1-2 inches longer and 2 nuts for each bolt. For the universal end links you can find those on ebay. There is a way around everything its just harder to find it on your own.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Name:  3103t_1.jpg
Views: 1191
Size:  4.0 KB

If you were to go with MK1 coils, the front spindles will need to be modified a lot, as the bottom bolt hole does not line up with the strut. You can modify the strut or spindle, as the bolt hole is not that far off. Also, the spindle arm needs to be modified for the strut to fit, as it is too wide. MK2 would be a better choice, as little modifications to the front spindle are needed, and it is easier to go back to stock. You would need to modify the spindle a bit, but that can be easily reversed. Unfortunately though, you will not get near as low as with the MK1.
      Last edited by d3vo1d; 04-22-2013 at 12:46 PM.

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      the rear is where the mk1 coilover is necessary. the front even on my car, is ok.

The endlink kit is SSHK-06-MSM-05.00 available at midwestcontrol.com

the bold and such you could source at a hardware store. Be sure to get a good grade.

I have the cad file for the link, if you can read it. But yes, it is a L shaped bracket with holes for the spindle bolts. and another the endlink.

I am not sure how much it would be to make one kit. At 5 at a time, I was just breaking even after shipping.

I'll keep it and add a turbo festersays's Avatar
      Thanks
      I want to stay at the height I'm at (dropped on h&r's) in the front, but drop the rear just a little more. You said the rear is where the mk1's are most needed, but at the height I want to be at will mk2's still ride decently? I'm trying to source out a decent set like Koni's or ST's. I didn't realize how much grinding would need to be done, I thought I could get away with modifying the coilover itself. I appreciate everyone's help!

Rabbit, if you wouldn't mind sending me the CAD file I would appreciate it. I think I may be able get one of my buddies to make the part for me. What kind of endlinks were included in the old kit? I would like to reproduce it exactly to spec mainly because everyone's had so much success with it.

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks
      I have a question rabbit. One of my connecting rods for the kit fell off is it possible to get another rod at like home depot or something?

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      The endlink kit is SSHK-06-MSM-05.00 available at midwestcontrol.com

Mine are about due for replacement (squeaking on bumps, 3 winters, i expect it). So we could order a bulk order to save some money...

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks
      I no my back coils squek a lot and sounds like it scapes when I take a left turn from body roll. But I do have to replace the front 2 rods from not securing em with nuts.

Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast