•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: back to the shop on Saturday

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks

back to the shop on Saturday

I feel bad for hijacking http://www.aveoforum.com/forum/f85/2...roblems-11596/ , so I'm creating this thread to continue my ramblings here.

I got the inner tie rods that I left at my friend's place, so I will be going back to the shop this weekend to see if they will be able to install that and if it will resolve the noise issues, or if yet more troubleshooting will be needed.

So far some bushings were changed and while it does seem to lean a bit less while turning, it has not resolved the issue knocking/wobbly crunchy noise coming from the left wheel area. Also, when turning more than just a little, it often has a significant thump/knock sound (turning in either direction).

I'm not sure if an inner tie rod can make all of those symptoms. I guess we'll see after the weekend but I don't really have my hopes up. Any input from you guys will be appreciated!

edit: strut mounts have already been replaced with no effect
      same with outer tie rods, ball joints and bearings

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      do you feel it in the steering wheel? do the car shake or anything? or are you just using those words to describe noises?

while you have it up in the air with the wheels off:

check the wheel bearings (which you said you did, but recheck spindle nut torque) and cv joints.

you said bushings, you mean control arm bushings? if not check those, also for the few minutes it might take, check the bearing in the upper strut mount?

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks
      The First Gens had an issue with a knocking noise over bumps. Check the lower control arm bolts and make sure they're torqued to spec

Thanks
      You didn't mention changing the sway bar end links...maybe I missed that in the earlier thread. cured my noises
      Find Aveo How-to's at my blog. http://aveodiy.blogspot.com/
      Timing belt replacement how-to with photos and more....

Thanks
      the stabilizer bar bushings were changed
      today the inner tie rods were changed, and i got my summers put on.

the steering is definitely tighter, but the wobbly crunching noise when turning over bumps at low speeds (first gear) still persists.

Thanks
      Stabilizer bar bushings are not the same as the Endlinks. Both Endlinks use a ball joint type connection at each end. the joint gets worn and loose thats where the noises come from.

With the car on the ground lay down, reach under the car and clasp the connection between the endlink and the mount on the strut. Have someone rock the car side to side as good as they can, and you might actually feel both parts move independently from eachother. There should be no play whatsoever.
      Find Aveo How-to's at my blog. http://aveodiy.blogspot.com/
      Timing belt replacement how-to with photos and more....

Thanks
      Thanks for the input. I can't work on my car where I live, but I will be bringing the car to my dad's place a bit out in the country and will have an opportunity to look things over with him. That's a big plus for me because he's worked on his own cars his whole life, versus me who knows diddly squat in comparison. And there will be plentiful tools. I reeeeally hope I can get this fixed good and right finally.

Thanks
      Jacked up the car and had a look. Seems the most of noise is coming from the steering rack, despite the inner and outer tie rods already being changed, not too good... There is some loose in the axles as well, but i dont think most of the noise im hearing is coming from those, maybe some though.

finally my brakes need changing, pads still have quite a bit of life but the discs are chewed through well enough. im looking at the r1concepts discs and ceramic pads for $120 (well, after shipping etc it will be more like $175, still a good deal I think?)

not sure what I am gonna do now because a steering rack + axles is a fair bit of coin to put into the car, doesnt seem to be any danger leaving it the way it is, but the noises annoy he hell out of me. originally i thought of putting better springs and shocks on the car, and I actually did buy a rear sway bar (not yet installed) ... now, lets just say im a bit put off.

thoughts?

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      I have the exact same problem with my 2009 Aveo5, still under warranty... 'couldn't replicate problem' a couple weeks ago, taking it back, noise is annoying!

Any suggestions on what to tell them?

Thanks
      I had to tighten the endlink fasteners on my car when I did some strut work. They were knocking like crazy. I still have some slight knocking though and I'm pretty sure its from the control arm bushings being worn out. I haven't figured out exactly what bushing it is, but you can buy them for less than $10, or buy the entire control arm for $30-45 on rockauto. I just live with the slight knock, its not too bad on my car.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast