•  
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2009 Chevy Aveo Lt issues with my bushings.. HELP ME PLEASE..

What's wrong with my car? Aveo09Evy's Avatar
      Thanks

Angry 2009 Chevy Aveo Lt issues with my bushings.. HELP ME PLEASE..

I started hearing a thumping sound every time we drove over bumps or slanted driveways. So we took it into a shop and got told we needed new shocks so we replaced them. Then we started having issues with the front tires so took it back into the shop and got told we needed tye rods so we replaced them. The thumping sound never went away so we took it into another shop and they told us we needed back springs and again we got them fixed. Lo and be hold the thumping sound went away for 2 days and now we are thumping away as we drive and even louder now..

So we took it to the shop the did our springs and now we were told it was the bushings. And he showed us a diagram and told us it will be $700 for just buy the bushings cuz you need to buy this whole piece cuz the bushings aren't sold alone. And he didn't even tell us how much the labor would be. Funny thing is the mechanic was on the phone talking in spanish and thought I didn't understand. They wanted to make at least a $300 profit just from us. SO I spoke to the man and shocked him when I spoke to him in spanish and I told him I will make the internet my friend and I will find out what I can do to replace my bushings.

So I did a google search and it lead me to here.. I hope someone can help me out..

Still love my daily driver classic67's Avatar
      Thanks
      Im guessing your car isn't under any kind of warranty. If not no big deal do you need front or back bushings. If front they do come separate from the control arms you can buy both or not and rear i believe you have to drop the axle the rear ones you need a special tool and the front you have to take off the lower control arm and you can use a bench vise to get the bushings out and in. its not a hard job just do your research and go from there. All the parts you need you can get from auto zone oreily advanced auto ect.. i use ebay if you do the work yourself especially the rear be careful not to break the brake lines off when you drop the axle.

hope all goes well
      Welcome to the forum

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      there are a few threads about using mk4 VW rear bushings in the beam, search a little more on this site, you will find the parts numbers and answers..

Thanks
      Classic67 Thank You for your reply.. I was showed my back bushings were lose when the mechanic used a screw driver and moved both of them. I don't know what exactly I am looking for exactly. I am still investigating to see what info I can find.

Petrified.Rabbit Thank You for your reply.. I have no clue what mk4 VW is.. I am trying to see what I can find out about this cuz I am trying to fix this thumping noise and it feels and sounds bad.

What do you mean there's no turbo? Chevy Customer Svc's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Aveo09Evy View Post
      I started hearing a thumping sound every time we drove over bumps or slanted driveways. So we took it into a shop and got told we needed new shocks so we replaced them. Then we started having issues with the front tires so took it back into the shop and got told we needed tye rods so we replaced them. The thumping sound never went away so we took it into another shop and they told us we needed back springs and again we got them fixed. Lo and be hold the thumping sound went away for 2 days and now we are thumping away as we drive and even louder now..

So we took it to the shop the did our springs and now we were told it was the bushings. And he showed us a diagram and told us it will be $700 for just buy the bushings cuz you need to buy this whole piece cuz the bushings aren't sold alone. And he didn't even tell us how much the labor would be. Funny thing is the mechanic was on the phone talking in spanish and thought I didn't understand. They wanted to make at least a $300 profit just from us. SO I spoke to the man and shocked him when I spoke to him in spanish and I told him I will make the internet my friend and I will find out what I can do to replace my bushings.

So I did a google search and it lead me to here.. I hope someone can help me out..
      I apologize for the negative experience you had the dealership. If you would like to file a complaint and/or are unable to resolve this issue, please DM us with the dealership, your contact information, and the vehicle VIN#. I hope this is resolved quickly for you.

Matt,

GM Customer Assistance
      Don't forget to check out my.chevrolet.com link and take advantage of a wealth of vehicle information!

For information on the GM Privacy Statement, please visit http://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      If the thumping sound is coming from the front this is most likely the Stabilizer Bar Links... I had this issue. Makes noise over speed bumps etc and is worse when cold. They are about $20 each online at RockAuto and are easily changed (1/2 hr labour each side). If it's the back then yes, likely the bushings, which can be replaced separately as mentioned above although I haven't done this repair.

The Stabilizer Bar Link connects the Stabilizer Bar to the Strut Assembly (just below the spring). Each link has a couple of ball joints which wear and become noisy.

Goodluck
      Last edited by BCAveo; 10-10-2012 at 07:50 PM.

What do you mean there's no turbo? Chevy Customer Svc's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Aveo09Evy View Post

Hello Aveo09Evy,

Sorry to hear you're having these issues. Are you working with a GM dealership or an independent shop? If you would like to private message me your VIN, I would be glad to take a look to see if I see any special coverages or recalls tht may be related to the issues you're having.

I look forward to your reply.

Vanessa
      GM Customer Service
      Don't forget to check out my.chevrolet.com link and take advantage of a wealth of vehicle information!

For information on the GM Privacy Statement, please visit http://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Chevy Customer Svc View Post
      Hello Aveo09Evy,

Sorry to hear you're having these issues. Are you working with a GM dealership or an independent shop? If you would like to private message me your VIN, I would be glad to take a look to see if I see any special coverages or recalls tht may be related to the issues you're having.

I look forward to your reply.

Vanessa
      GM Customer Service
      Thank You but it wasn't a chevy dealer I went to I went a mechanic (Independent Shop) and get my car checked out to see if they could tell me what was wrong because the 2 dealers I called wanted an arm and a leg just to check the car out.
      I just find it wrong that mechanics feel that they can charge you what ever they want exspecially when your a women because they think we are dumb. But I love to do research online so I can know what to look for before I do anything..

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      a 2009 might still get this covered under the powertrain warranty?

but the mk4 vw bushings, are bushing out of a 99-2005 vw jetta or golf. "same" bushing "same" location from a different car and you can put it in..

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      Aveo heres the VW part number 6R0501541A....you need 2, if you can't put these in yourself find a shop that will install these for you. Keep your axle.

Did you put in new Munroe rear shocks? Because I have already replaced 2 of them for making this noise, and one of them was only installed for 3 weeks from brand new. If you put other shocks in make sure the foam bumper has been put in...it needs that.

I would expect 300 bucks labour to change the bushings (if they are indeed shot) at least with the VW ones they should last you a very long time.

Last edited by HeavyDuty; 10-14-2012 at 03:32 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast