•  
    Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: '06 Ongoing Steering/Handling Issue Summary

What do you mean there's no turbo? northguest47's Avatar
      Thanks
      Whew, geeeee-willickers, its been a long time on this one. Life finally gave me a window to focus on this again. Car is imminently to get out of a local shop I found, who has a really cool techie who is actually interested in little sparky. So, Rabbits mega-beefy end-link adapter brackets are on, and the drivers side lower control arm is replaced. I wanted to try that control arm myself because I am really eager to learn this stuff, I don't have access to a garage, only a really sloped driveway that just isn't safe enough for this guy to tackle something new.
      I want to clarify that my handling issue, for those reading this thread was likely due to two things - a failing drivers side control arm bushing that was slowly worming its way out of the hole, and a failing passenger side end-link adapter bracket that was slowly flexing back and forth. Both of these issues are my own fault imho, as before this issue came up I had been 'testing' the handling of little sparky quite vigorously. Perhaps the mint green challenger could attest to that...
      So this thread is just about wrapped up.. just gotta do another test drive here somewhere I can find some twisties in the 40-50mph range.. but in any case in hindsight it now makes sense to me why this handling issue was so difficult to diagnose at first, and why my observations of the handling were so asymmetrical.
      Failing drivers side lower A arm bushing was likely toeing in and out that wheel, and the flexing adapter bracket on the passenger side would cause the sway bar to perform un-symmetrically. Its all fascinating to me, I've never been so curious, and yet so stumped on what the heck was up with the cars suspension. Learned a whole lot along the way.
      Should be tomorrow or the next day I do a close on this. I was thinking of doing an audio recording and then take some pictures to show whats been done. I know exactly how the car used to handle. Hoping its back in town

What do you mean there's no turbo? northguest47's Avatar
      Thanks
      I have to put book-ends on this thread. There was one more issue. The front wheel bearings, both of them, drivers side (older one) worse than the passenger side (newer one) but he said they both had to go. Here's the book-end. I didn't know wheel bearings affect handling waay before they get noisy. I assumed if they aren't noisy they are fine. Turns out wheel bearings can get loose, but still work for years with no noise. Go figure. So now, little sparky is chompin' at the bit for more power. We'll see, we'll see. I'll take a picture soon with the mega-beefy end-link adapters, and it will be as is. Maybe a picture or two after cleaned up a bit.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123