•  
    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Reverse sense wire....where is it?

What's wrong with my car? jbourassa's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by serug View Post
      okay, I fixed the issue. turns out, for some reason I can't understand, that when the car is on, started and/or in acc., there is a constant +12v on the positive line for the backup lights. even when the car is not in reverse. when you put it in reverse, the voltage drops to ~11.23. funny thing is that the negative line also has a constant +12v even when the car is not in reverse, but when you do put it into reverse the negative line voltage drops to ~1v. so, I just connected the sense wire to the negative and set the HU to sense a GND instead of BATTERY. Thank you guys for the help. thumbs up to AveoJunk. I appreciate it!
      Thanks for the hint! I have the exact same problem, If I understand what you're saying my guess it that it's because the Back-up switch is on the Ground wire instead of the positive and because the trigger does not need a ground it thinks we're in reverse since the current didn't hit the light bulb. Gonna try your solution A.S.A.P.

Thanks
      Sorry took me a while to give feedback on this but I didn't want to work on the car during winter. Well unfortunaly for me I Have no setting on my monitor (this is a car PC I have) to sence ground instead of battery, so I was wandering if someone had a similar situation and has a solution to this. Perhaps a circuit device than sence ground and convert to Battery signal? any help appreciated. Thanks.

Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Which 12V circuit in the trunk of the car that is closed whenever the car is on? I imagine one of the lights in the back is constantly on, but I don't know which at the moment.

I'm at the start of the same process, I have a rear view camera and a Pioneer head unit that I'm installing in my '09 Aveo, so this thread's already been a help to me.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by CKTofu View Post
      Which 12V circuit in the trunk of the car that is closed whenever the car is on? I imagine one of the lights in the back is constantly on, but I don't know which at the moment.

I'm at the start of the same process, I have a rear view camera and a Pioneer head unit that I'm installing in my '09 Aveo, so this thread's already been a help to me.
      Well actually the circuit is not closed when not in reverse it is open but it is switched fom ground, I confirmed it with my multimeter using the car chassis as ground I saw the the positive wire had a constant +12 volt in it.

But your statement had me think I should check the other light and see if it's the same, I instinctively connected on the driver's side backup light because the wire harness of the trunk lid goes there, so maybe the switch is in the middle of the circuit and on the passenger side there is no constant +12 volt on the positive I'll test it out this evening.

Thanks
      Alright I did the test and it's the same thing on the passenger's side, still switched from the ground. I'm not too familiar with circuit but I was wondering if a relay could help sense ground and output the +12 volt I need at the right moment?

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by jbourassa View Post
      Alright I did the test and it's the same thing on the passenger's side, still switched from the ground. I'm not too familiar with circuit but I was wondering if a relay could help sense ground and output the +12 volt I need at the right moment?
      Ok I went to my local CanadianTire and buyed a car relay switch, the thing worked like a charm. My monitor finaly get triggered only when I go in reverse. If someone needs to use a relay like me the way to hook it is to have the positive backup light wire connect to both 85 and 30 terminal of the relay and the ground of the backup light to to 86 terminal of the relay after that hook your remote trigger wire to the 87 terminal of the relay switch. that way there only a +12 volt on the 87 terminal when the circuit get closed going through the 85 to 86 terminal which trigger a switch between the 30 and 87 terminal. Hope this helps someone.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jbourassa For This Useful Post:

amrgym (02-05-2021)

Thanks
      Just wondering, but what did you end up using to power the camera? Is there something back there you can use to keep the camera on whenever the car is running? Or would you have to run your own 12V line?

Thanks
      In the back there you can use the Backup ligth positive to power the camera in this situation since it's not switch and then use a part of the trunk lid as ground. Just a suggestion I didn't try it since my PC unit sits on the spare tire and I had run the car stereo power back there for it, there was not enough room for the pc behind the monitor, I hooked the camera on the same wires. I will soon make a post showing my car-PC setup.
      Last edited by jbourassa; 05-06-2014 at 01:12 AM.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by jbourassa View Post
      In the back there you can use the Backup ligth positive to power the camera in this situation since it's not switch and then use a part of the trunk lid as ground. Just a suggestion I didn't try it since my PC unit sits on the spare tire and I had run the car stereo power back there for it, there was not enough room for the pc behind the monitor, I hooked the camera on the same wires. I will soon make a post showing my car-PC setup.
      Oh BTW I mention the trunk lid because I got a custom backup camera for the Aveo Sedan that goes where one of the license place light is. Here's a link to it on eBay: Sony CCD Chevrolet Cruze Epica Aveo CAR Rear View Camera Backup Reverse FOR GPS | eBay

Thanks
      I have a similar reverse camera, actually. Mounts to the same spot, but it has a bit of a different body. They don't mount facing completely straight backwards, so I'm going to hack a better-angled mount together out of the old light housing and the Camera housing.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast