•  
    Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Reverse sense wire....where is it?

What's wrong with my car? jbourassa's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by CKTofu View Post
      I have a similar reverse camera, actually. Mounts to the same spot, but it has a bit of a different body. They don't mount facing completely straight backwards, so I'm going to hack a better-angled mount together out of the old light housing and the Camera housing.
      Kool, Just one thing to keep in mind I have driven with mine for all winter even tho I had the switching problem (I could manually go to it with the source button on the monitor). The guide lines are made for that viewing angle if you alter it the red line will tell you to stop too late or too early before collision. And also the purpose is to see what you don't see from the rear view windows that's why they have that angle. If this does not mater to you then do fiddle with the angle maybe you got this one to take a peek at the beautiful girl in the car behind you at the red light! hehe.

Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by jbourassa View Post
      Kool, Just one thing to keep in mind I have driven with mine for all winter even tho I had the switching problem (I could manually go to it with the source button on the monitor). The guide lines are made for that viewing angle if you alter it the red line will tell you to stop too late or too early before collision. And also the purpose is to see what you don't see from the rear view windows that's why they have that angle. If this does not mater to you then do fiddle with the angle maybe you got this one to take a peek at the beautiful girl in the car behind you at the red light! hehe.
      So I finally got around to installing my rearview camera. I haven't wired in a relay to give a proper reverse sense(didn't have a relay on-hand when I put everything together), but playing around I noticed a different problem. I'm powering my camera off the 12v line for the reverse lights and connecting the negative to a constant ground, so the camera itself is always active, however I noticed that whenever I hit the brakes or swap into reverse, the added load to the system causes my camera's power to cut out for a moment as the regulator handles the change from 14V down to whatever (probably 12 or 13V). I'll have to get someone else to give me a hand measuring the change in voltage, but it's a minor annoyance if I try to keep the camera on constantly. Once I get more measurements I'll be looking into changing how I have things wired a bit, or adding a capacitor in parallel with the camera to smooth out those spikes so the regulator doesn't flip out on me.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      This been a few years but jbourassa is awesome, I had an extra relay and the same issue with the backup camera pretty much and once connect as he said, all worked! Thanks for sharing your experience!

Thanks

Relay wiring

Quote Originally Posted by jbourassa View Post
      Ok I went to my local CanadianTire and buyed a car relay switch, the thing worked like a charm. My monitor finaly get triggered only when I go in reverse. If someone needs to use a relay like me the way to hook it is to have the positive backup light wire connect to both 85 and 30 terminal of the relay and the ground of the backup light to to 86 terminal of the relay after that hook your remote trigger wire to the 87 terminal of the relay switch. that way there only a +12 volt on the 87 terminal when the circuit get closed going through the 85 to 86 terminal which trigger a switch between the 30 and 87 terminal. Hope this helps someone.
      Thanks for this info. Quick question…how did you go about wiring the relay switch? Did you run 2 wires off of the positive reverse wire to the relay? Then one from the negative?

Thanks
      I am a complete noob who is willing to learn this and install this myself, so far I've a cheap-ish headunit and the rear view camera, waiting for the wiring harness and the Double DIN dashkit to arrive, but I am curious about the camera wiring connection. In theory it all makes sense, but I am not so sure about where to find/which wire to splice in the tail light. I am still a little confused as a beginner. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I can provide more information as needed.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123