•  

Thread: radio gone south?

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

radio gone south?

bought my 2010 new. it's been a great car and we use it as a second car for errands and short trips to town. just came back from menards and the radio does not work. it lights up to the last channel i was on but no sound and no adjusting to another channel. it's the factory radio (no bells) and if it's junk now is there an aftermarket one that will be a plug and play with easy install. don't need something that bangs. most of my listening is sports talk shows and a little music. any suggestions for an inexpensive sound box? thanks

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks
      Look at crutchfield.com for a new radio, if you don't mind a little DIY. I bought mine there and used their install kit and steering wheel control kit to replace mine. They'll even pre-wire most of it to the adapter if you pay a little extra (a few things can't be pre-wired, apparently).

Alternatively, visit a local car audio shop and they'll probably have some economical options.

Thanks

radio

Quote Originally Posted by EAD15 View Post
      Look at crutchfield.com for a new radio, if you don't mind a little DIY. I bought mine there and used their install kit and steering wheel control kit to replace mine. They'll even pre-wire most of it to the adapter if you pay a little extra (a few things can't be pre-wired, apparently
      Alternatively, visit a local car audio shop and they'll probably have some economical options.
      thank you for the reply. been doing a little research on this problem. my radio is a plain radio without a cd or any other options. was able to find only one on the internet that had no options like mine. another thing i ran into was the radio code numbers. will i have any problems by replacing with a factory one like mine or an aftermarket one like crutchfield sells? will it be plug and play? don't mind a little DIY but would not like to get into the computer system over a radio swap. going to try a crap shoot and check the fuse. don't think thats the problem cause the radio light still comes on with 97.1 still on the face. thanks again for the reply

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by dwelch09 View Post
      thank you for the reply. been doing a little research on this problem. my radio is a plain radio without a cd or any other options. was able to find only one on the internet that had no options like mine. another thing i ran into was the radio code numbers. will i have any problems by replacing with a factory one like mine or an aftermarket one like crutchfield sells? will it be plug and play? don't mind a little DIY but would not like to get into the computer system over a radio swap. going to try a crap shoot and check the fuse. don't think thats the problem cause the radio light still comes on with 97.1 still on the face. thanks again for the reply
      I don't know about the radio code if you swapped it for another OEM radio, but you won't have to input a code for an aftermarket radio. If you do go aftermarket, it's not exactly "plug and play" ready since you do need to wire up the harness to the new radio. If you want to keep your steering wheel controls with an aftermarket radio, that requires another module to be installed and configured as well.

It's not hard if you are comfortable with basic wiring, but I would plan on it taking a few hours for the DIY route.

Thanks
      thanks for the reply. went out this morning and checked the fuse which was ok. started the car up and the radio worked as always. about 5 years ago the radio was working fine but there was no light on the face. i think there is a glich somewhere in the system. don't have steering wheel controls. have installed several radios in some of my early hot rods and i'm going to be checking out aftermarket sounds from now on. i'll check with crutchfield first. thanks again for the interest. Denny